Doing bacon, confused re: Tender Quick

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Starting a couple bellies today, bought some pink salt and Morton Tender Quick. I'm looking at my cure recipie and no mention of TQ. I could of swore it was used in bacon cure. I'm I remembering incorrectly?

Larry,
It's either TQ or pink curing salt, not both. (be sure the pink is actually a curing salt)
Ruhlman's recipe here.
My TQ recipe here.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm using a variation of the one in Charcuterie. I figured it out. Substitute TQ for Kosher Salt and pink salt. Duh! Got two slabs sitting in the fridge as I type.

Thanks!

Larry, did you measure the TQ based on the "green" weight of your pork bellies? Also, if you decide to continue making bacon, consider trying 1) canning salt, 2) maple sugar, & 3) pink salt #1. Canning salt gives you a better texture that matches the sugar and pink salt #1, plus it enhances the flavor of your bacon. You can use honey to sweeten, but I find the bacon more likely to burn (actually the honey is burning) when I use honey to cure it. Maple Sugar doesn't seem to have that problem. And for smoking, I'm pretty much a Hickory guy. Other stuff can work and you may enjoy the taste better, but that is a personal taste sort of thing.

Steve, yes I went by weight.

Where is everyone getting their maple sugar? I've looked several places but cannot find any. Used pure maple syrup on this batch. Bellies have been curing a week today!

Back