First grill: Spirit E-320 or Genesis E-310

Chris Goodloe

Looking to get my first grill. Growing up I know my parents always bought those cheapo big box grills. They looked fantastic in the store and sitting in the backyard for a week or so.

Anyway, I have decided on a Weber, but not which model. I have read that Spirits are made in China and the rest of the Weber gas grills are made in the USA. Is this still true or have they moved Spirit production stateside? The main use of the grill will be for myself and my wife a few times a week, but I would like to have the ability to have get togethers at my house and have the grill capacity to feed everyone which is why I am leaning towards this size. So is the Genesis really worth the extra $150 even without the side burner? The side burner is a nice touch, especially since we have an induction cooktop (which I HATE!!!) so I wouldn't mind using that while grilling, but its not a must.

Thoughts?

Buy the Genesis with the side burner and searing burner. If you're thinking about the side burner now and don't get it you'll always wonder " If Ida". I have the Genesis 330 with side burner and searing burner and love them both. I use the side burner to light my chimney when starting my WSM cooks and the searing burner is great for cooking stakes for my Wife and I. If money is a problem, I suggest waiting a little longer and saving what is needed. Buyers remorse is not a happy feeling. Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks for the input. That side burner may come in handy. I already have an offset smoker that is well seasoned but getting charcoal going can be a pain.

If you can stretch a little the Genesis will not be a wrong choice. I used to be in the "I don't need or want a side burner" camp. But I have found religion! now both grills on my deck have side burners and you'd be amazed how many times in good weather both grills and both side burners are in full use

Absolutely get the Genesis, it will be money well spent. There is no comparison between the two and the Genesis is built in the good ol' USA.

Love my EP-330.....Baby Summit.

Ugh, I'm gonna love this phone call to the wife explaining why the $550 grill isn't good enough and we need a $800 one lol

Last edited:
Seems nice, but for a 5 year old grill with minimal features (even though its a Summit) I would rather pay the extra couple hundred for new with warranty and the add-ons like the searing station.

The Summit is a great grill it has a sear area, 4 burners a rear sear burner for the roti (the roti comes with it as dose the side burner) lighted control knobs,and total Stainless Steel, plus a few other things.
I have a genesis without a side burner but have thought about up grading to one, i love the genesis it is a great grill. What a lot of people will tell is why pay all that money for a name (Weber) when you can buy a good grill for less. Well my grill is a 2007 and only my ignitor has failed and it will work the same way for another 10 to 20 years and then I will still be able to get parts for it. And the warringty is real and long.
That is why you buy a Weber.

Besides......there is just something exciting about buying something this nice new! I was concerned about paying that much for a grill when I bought mine two years ago. Today I sit here and it didn't change my lifestyle one bit, except I have a very nice grill out back and have no regrets!

Seems nice, but for a 5 year old grill with minimal features (even though its a Summit) I would rather pay the extra couple hundred for new with warranty and the add-ons like the searing station.
Not really sure what you call minimal features as the Summit has more features than the Genesis:

http://www.weber.com/explore/compare/22/

Just like a new car, a new Weber will cost far more than a few years used up front and depreciate the minute you take possession. Since Weber is a quality brand, I personally am not worried about needing warranty service. Also, some parts are warrantied for more than 5 years. To each their own. That Summit would be mine if I lived within a couple hours from it.

Besides......there is just something exciting about buying something this nice new! I was concerned about paying that much for a grill when I bought mine two years ago. Today I sit here and it didn't change my lifestyle one bit, except I have a very nice grill out back and have no regrets!

I have to agree with Jeff when I bought my new S310 in 2007 I thought what did i just do,I spent more on a grill than my first car 61 Chevy. But it has been mighty good too summer & winter so solid and even heat and it is nice to be the owner of a 25 year warringty on the stainless steel parts.
Weber quality is hard to beat.

Back