Smokey Joe Legs

George L

TVWBB All-Star
After receiving a few requests asking for additional leg detail on my Smokey Joe 16 gallon UDS build I decided to post this thread with more info on the leg mod I made on the Smokey Joe.
I took a 48" X 1" X 1/8" piece of aluminum bar stock which I purchased from Home Depot and cut it into three 16" lengths. Each piece actually ended up being just short of 16" as I used an angle grinder to cut them. After filing and sanding the rough edges I drilled a 1/4" hole at just one end of each piece. Then I used a bench vise to bend each leg into shape. Final sharp bends were done by hand. You will end up with 3 identical pieces if you mark them before making the bends.
Hope this helps.

P1060992_zps84976359.jpg

P1060988_zps889ca731.jpg

P1070013_zpsc25e2d54.jpg

P1070026_zps359acbb3.jpg

P1070027_zpseb891a24.jpg

You can also go a little beefier and use 1.25" or even 1.5" wide stock. That might be good if you want even taller legs for the mini.

I was gonna say you do a good job on drafting cause the pic looks identical to you're sketch.
Then the Duh moment hit me.. you just set the leg on the notebook paper and traced it..;)
Nice job!

Tim

Aww dang, I just thought of the pan underneath my Smokey Joe Silver. That is probably gonna stop be from getting to make me some studier legs that looks like the WSM ones. Bummer.

Aww dang, I just thought of the pan underneath my Smokey Joe Silver. That is probably gonna stop be from getting to make me some studier legs that looks like the WSM ones. Bummer.

You can get a small diameter pizza pan and bolt its rim at the legs maybe an inch or so from the bottom. That would also add additional strength to the legs, not that its needed.

Last edited:
as to the sj pan, some kind of other pan can be used or modded to fit. since the origional was not ment to really hold any amount of ash but to just catch some hot ash dropping down, you could just slide something underneath. its what i would do.

Back