My side table mod, maybe last mod, but doubtful

David

TVWBB Pro
I've thought about adding a side table to the 22 WSM for some time, but just never really decided the route I wished to take. Afte viewing some of the mods here, I modeled my table after one done by Brian Moriarty in the mod section. I took quite a few liberties with his idea, using eye bolts and a brace, but his post provided the core of what I did. Some of you might remember the old Charbroil that I finally threw out a few months ago, but I did save the oak boards that it had for two side tables. So I decided to put a piece of that beloved grill into the WSM. Here's the wood, which has hung around for about 20 years so plenty of spills have been splashed on them during that time.

bbqchickandonions003_zpsa16bfac4.jpg

The second order of business was to cut out slots for biscuits and glue the boards together.

bbqchickandonions004_zps23a64c24.jpg

Next the resulting board was sanded down, cut out to fit over the side handle and the curve of the WSM and coated with a couple of coats of poly. The two bolts in the top slip into four eye bolts attached to the wsm.

wsmsidetable001_zps5aab557f.jpg

My original idea was to simple put the bolts down into the eye bolts, and have it so that I could take it off and on with little effort. However, I quickly saw that it needed a brace to handle the weight of a piece of meat that I would be putting on and taking off the grill so I added a wooded brace to attach to the lower part of the mid section. After installing the board on I also found that it had some give back and forth that made it somewhat shaky, so I then added a washer and another nut on the bottom the bolt through the bottom eye bolt that made it rock hard. My only worry, is that with too much weight riding out that far, the mid section could tilt to one side and fall over, so I intend on changing the brace down to one of the leg supports or drop to the ground. The other alternative is to add a fastener to the mid section to the bottom section, though I do not favor that alternative. For now, I will keep the load on it light until I fix that possible problem.

Here's a shot of the hardware under the table. The brace coming down fits into a U shaped cut of wood and attaches to the table through a bracket on the bottom of the shelf that allows it to swivel up and down. This is the brace that I think that I will extend down to one of the wsm legs rather than the mid section.

sidethardware003_zps8e6f7c98.jpg

Anyway, here are a couple of shots how it looks on the unit. Since the wsm is stored under cover, and have never covered it, I intend on leaving the side table on most of the time, but is fairly easy to take off just removing two nuts.

wsmsidetable004_zps4acfeee5.jpg

wsmsidetable002_zpsbd0bc5be.jpg

With wheels added, double criss cross charcoal grate, eye bolts attached to grate and charcoal ring, clay pot, 2 lid hangers, Mav. insert hole, side handles, and now a side table (with possible adjustment needed), I think I'm done with mods to my WSM over the past six months. Now on to a long and happy life of WSM cooks:cool:

David

Last edited:
I like it. I always wondered why Weber never decided to make a table for the WSMs that attach to the grill? I know a table is needed.

Looks very nice. Love the reusing of old wood. U do some very fine woodworking.

Peter

Thanks, at one time I did a lot of woodworking, though never really that good, but did enjoy small projects, though I did build a nice cherry library desk for the wife and a few other good pieces, but now I limited space and the boat gets in the way, lessening the joy in limited workspace.

The project changed several times as I misjudged several things and had to amend them as I went along, such as the bolt holes not a equal distance from the center, but I decided to use existing holes in the wsm rather than drill more, but as the wife said, "it's a frigging backyard grill, not a piece of furniture". I have to agree, as it serves the purpose for which it was built...............................d

After several cooks, the table does not need a lockdown or further support as I've put a 18 pound port butt on it with no movement whatsoever, no guarantee of course, but I'm very happy with the table, heck, considered adding another one, but the extra weight might make lifting it bent over bad on a bad back.........................d

Back