Cooking grates peeling?

Scott Jeff

I just bought an 18.5 off craigslist this week, and was looking at it again last night and noticed that on the cooking grates, they seemed to be peeling some? Have any of you experienced this? Is it normal? This cooker has only been used probably 2 or 3 times....looks like new.

Never experienced this with my 18.5...maybe just excess food, sauce, rub that was on the grates and is flaking off. Just give it a good cleaning after heating the WSM up and it should come right off.

No, it's not normal at all. They'll eventually rust, but I've never even heard of plating peeling off. Sure it's not just a smoke coating that's peeling off?

My grates are also peeling and mines just shy of a year old. I think I'm going to contact Weber and see what they'll do about it. Deff shouldnt be peeling only after 3 cooks on it

I would call Weber, there customer service is the best and will take care of peeling grates.

Gosh, there's no telling how many Weber grates I've had. Never had the actual plating come off...ever. I wonder what's the deal with their process, now.

Gosh, there's no telling how many Weber grates I've had. Never had the actual plating come off...ever. I wonder what's the deal with their process, now.

Me also, sounds like a bad batch.
Definitely call Weber and let them know whats going on.

Tim

I just bought an 18.5 off craigslist this week, and was looking at it again last night and noticed that on the cooking grates, they seemed to be peeling some? Have any of you experienced this? Is it normal? This cooker has only been used probably 2 or 3 times....looks like new.

Just called Weber customer service. They couldn't tell me anything, and basically said I needed to buy some new ones.

I did double check when I got home, I was thinking maybe it was pieces of foil, but no, it was the actual grate peeling.

Guess I'll have to go get a couple new ones.

Did you take any pics and send them to Weber?
If you can post em here cause we would like to see them.

Tim

my 18.5 didn't peel but seemed to rust immediately, weber wasn't at all interested, they sent me a new top rack because they forgot to weld some of the bars down. i doubt that these grates are American made. i have some of my old grannys cookware thats stainless and at least 30 years old with no signs of wear and tear at all.

grate.jpg

Finally got a picture of it.....ended up just buying another grate

Thank's for posting that Scott.
That's a new one for me to see and definitely a defect, almost looks like spray paint peeling..

Tim

Man that looks awful. Even though you already contacted Weber, I would contact them again and send them those pics like Timothy said. There is no way they should look like that after 2 or 3 uses and who's to say after spending your money on new ones they wont do the same. Sometime you will get different answers from different customer service reps so it's at least worth a try.

After all, with a 2 month old, who has time to run and get new grates every 2-3 times :)

EDIT: I missed where you said you already bought new ones. If it was me I would still send weber the pics

Good luck

Shouldn't peel after two-three years should they? Good luck, I was hoping the weber CS was a little more forgiving than that. Looks like I need to get some craycorts afterall.

Shouldn't peel after two-three years should they? Good luck, I was hoping the weber CS was a little more forgiving than that. Looks like I need to get some craycorts afterall.

Just an update....

I sent an email to Weber customer service with picture of the grate.

They replied back after a couple of days and are sending me two new grates

Back