Swift Premium St. Louis style ribs ?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
So we have all seen over the past little bit that less and less stores sell full slabs of spares. They trim them and you have to buy rib tips separately. I have avoided buying these pretimmed ribs until today, I wasn't able to make it in time to my go to supplier. Promised my Mom ribs for her birthday so I had to give in and buy these for tomorrow. Has anyone tried these and how did you like them ? Also since they are already trimmed, do they also pull the silver skin? Guess I will fins out in the AM. Any feedback is appreciated.

Eric

Cool Dave thanks, I have read negative reviews elsewhere but was curious if anyone here had tried them. Glad you had a good experience.
Kinda bummed there will be no rib tips but oh well, haven't done ribs in a while, looking forward to tomorrow's smoke.
Thanks again,
Eric

Fortunately I can still get full, untrimmed pork spare ribs.
I save the trimmings and make the tips as a meal.
My wife prefers the rib tips to the actual ribs. :)

Totally agree Mary, kind of a bummer but I understand why they do it $$$$. I still have 1 place I can get full racks, when I do spares I like to use all of it and do rib tips.

I found a local butcher, a small mom n pop place close. I can order from them if they don't have it. A lot of times I'll call a few days in advance just to be sure I can get what I want. Every time I get them, he lets me trim into spares. It saves me some $$$ and I get the experience of know what to look for and how to do it.....I just a rookie :)

I found a local butcher, a small mom n pop place close. I can order from them if they don't have it. A lot of times I'll call a few days in advance just to be sure I can get what I want. Every time I get them, he lets me trim into St Louis style spare. It saves me some $$$ and I get the experience of knowing what to look for and how it should be done......I'm just a rookie :)

Don't know about the Spare Ribs but I have quit using the Swift Baby Backs that you get in Food Lion around here. They just didn't taste right and I cooked them the way I cook all my ribs in the past. I go to Kroger now or Wal-Mart as they carry Smithfield brand.

Don't know about the Spare Ribs but I have quit using the Swift Baby Backs that you get in Food Lion around here. They just didn't taste right and I cooked them the way I cook all my ribs in the past. I go to Kroger now or Wal-Mart as they carry Smithfield brand.

It's more about what's in the cryovac than the brand, and whether it's IBP, Swift, or Smithfield ribs, I wouldn't cook them unless stated clearly on the package something to the effect of "all natural." Not a fan of phosphate enhanced ribs, and the worst enhanced ribs I've ever happened to be Smithfield. Wish I could find some Swift baby backs. All they have at Costco are Swift loinbacks that take as long to get tender as spares, they're so thick.

All they have at Costco are Swift loinbacks that take as long to get tender as spares, they're so thick.

Those loinbacks from Costco are the best ribs I have done. I consider them "Premium" in every way. Terrific flavor and "good to the last bite" when done on my 18.5" WSM. Cannot be better...

FWIW
Dale53

Those loinbacks from Costco are the best ribs I have done. I consider them "Premium" in every way. Terrific flavor and "good to the last bite" when done on my 18.5" WSM. Cannot be better...

FWIW
Dale53

The IBP back ribs have also been running on the thick and meaty side for quite some time now, but are you saying that the Swift ribs are better for some reason? I sure liked their St. Louis ribs last big rib cook I did.

Luckily, the Publix store I frequent has full racks on sale several times a year, I go and buy a bunch and freeze them, usually do at least a rack every 2-3 weeks, my favorite smoke. The cuttings get put into beans or just eaten in advance of the ribs being done, think they are as good as or better than the ribs themselves........................d

Dave, would love to get all natural but unfortunately for me the nearest local Grocery stores that might carry them are in two different counties in opposite directions from me. Have talked about going just to see what they have but always forget about it till comes up in conversation like now. And you're right the ones from Costco are fat ones ain't they?

Dave, would love to get all natural but unfortunately for me the nearest local Grocery stores that might carry them are in two different counties in opposite directions from me. Have talked about going just to see what they have but always forget about it till comes up in conversation like now. And you're right the ones from Costco are fat ones ain't they?

Man, if you can hit up Costco every now and then, I'd just buy and freeze as needed. Those Swift ribs there are natural, and the back ribs are good, too. Just don't expect those thick jokers to cook up any quicker than St. Louies. Heck, on avg., I bet they even take longer.

Dave, We do. We only have a side freezer so space is limited. The Costco is like 45 miles from us so we only make the trip about every 4 months. We get the ribs, porkloin, and Rack of Pork. We love the Rack of Pork they have and that is the first thing I cook when we get back. It's unreal. I am going to get an upright freezer this fall and load up!

There ya go, man. I don't know what we'd do without an upright. Once you get accustomed to cooking natural ribs I don't think you'll want to mess with any others, no matter how available they are. We shop at Walmart and Kroger ALL the stinkin' time...but for ribs? NOT.

Back