Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swift Premium St. Louis style ribs ?

TVWBB Super Fan

Swift Premium St. Louis style ribs ?

So we have all seen over the past little bit that less and less stores sell full slabs of spares. They trim them and you have to buy rib tips separately. I have avoided buying these pretimmed ribs until today, I wasn't able to make it in time to my go to supplier. Promised my Mom ribs for her birthday so I had to give in and buy these for tomorrow. Has anyone tried these and how did you like them ? Also since they are already trimmed, do they also pull the silver skin? Guess I will fins out in the AM. Any feedback is appreciated.

Eric
    18.5 WSM ,Performer black, Performer blue, Coleman roadtrip

TVWBB Honor Circle
    I smoked half a dozen for a event a few weeks ago and was quite pleased. The membrane had not been removed.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Cool Dave thanks, I have read negative reviews elsewhere but was curious if anyone here had tried them. Glad you had a good experience.
    Kinda bummed there will be no rib tips but oh well, haven't done ribs in a while, looking forward to tomorrow's smoke.
    Thanks again,
    Eric

Fortunately I can still get full, untrimmed pork spare ribs.
    I save the trimmings and make the tips as a meal.
    My wife prefers the rib tips to the actual ribs.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - B Franklin
    | 18 1/2" and 22 1/2" WSM | 22 1/2" and 26 3/4" OTG | Genesis S-330 |

TVWBB Fan
    What? Someone's selling ribs without tips? That's unamerican! You need those for the baked beans!

TVWBB Super Fan
    Totally agree Mary, kind of a bummer but I understand why they do it $$$$. I still have 1 place I can get full racks, when I do spares I like to use all of it and do rib tips.

I found a local butcher, a small mom n pop place close. I can order from them if they don't have it. A lot of times I'll call a few days in advance just to be sure I can get what I want. Every time I get them, he lets me trim into spares. It saves me some $$$ and I get the experience of know what to look for and how to do it.....I just a rookie
    WHAT IN THE WIDE WIDE WORLD O SPORTS IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!!!?

I found a local butcher, a small mom n pop place close. I can order from them if they don't have it. A lot of times I'll call a few days in advance just to be sure I can get what I want. Every time I get them, he lets me trim into St Louis style spare. It saves me some $$$ and I get the experience of knowing what to look for and how it should be done......I'm just a rookie
    WHAT IN THE WIDE WIDE WORLD O SPORTS IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!!!?

Don't know about the Spare Ribs but I have quit using the Swift Baby Backs that you get in Food Lion around here. They just didn't taste right and I cooked them the way I cook all my ribs in the past. I go to Kroger now or Wal-Mart as they carry Smithfield brand.
    My Arsenal: WSM 18.5 and 22.5, Weber Performer (Stainless), (2) 22.5 and (1) 18.5 kettles,Smokey Joe

TVWBB Honor Circle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Reynolds View Post
    Don't know about the Spare Ribs but I have quit using the Swift Baby Backs that you get in Food Lion around here. They just didn't taste right and I cooked them the way I cook all my ribs in the past. I go to Kroger now or Wal-Mart as they carry Smithfield brand.
    It's more about what's in the cryovac than the brand, and whether it's IBP, Swift, or Smithfield ribs, I wouldn't cook them unless stated clearly on the package something to the effect of "all natural." Not a fan of phosphate enhanced ribs, and the worst enhanced ribs I've ever happened to be Smithfield. Wish I could find some Swift baby backs. All they have at Costco are Swift loinbacks that take as long to get tender as spares, they're so thick.
    22.5" WSM, 18.5" wsm, Performer, 26.75" OTG, 22.5" OTG, SJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast