Smashburger

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Not really a copycat of any of their burgers just the technique it which they cook them. Got this idea of trying to make them from Greg form Ballistic BBQ. I don't have the smasher just used a press. It worked ok but the press I think would do a much better job. Here is his video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtFEKGZmaOg

1/2 lb. patties into a ball, butter is added to the flat surface.
IMG_2286.jpg

Cover them with parchment paper and smash them into a patty and hold for 10 to 15 seconds
IMG_2287.jpg

Flip the burger over and the burger develops a nice crust.
IMG_2284.jpg

Seasoned the cooked side with Weber's Gourmet Burger seasoning and black pepper, and cheese was added
IMG_2294.jpg

Burger on a toasted bun with some horseradish mayo, grainy mustard, lettuce, onion, tomato, avocado, and pickled red jalapenos.
IMG_2295.jpg

Also served with some Claussen Hot and spice pickles and blue box mac and cheese. Best burger I have had since the last time I made burgers.;)
IMG_2300.jpg

John that smash burger looks good. I like that mac and cheese side, Good job.
Greg makes great videos I subscribe to his channel.

John - excellent looking burgers. I LOVE the Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning and avacado on the burger...perfect. Love it - nice job!

0hYeaH!
let us, cheese, toms top & bottom missing mayo butt so what (scrap that catsup) mac&cheese is cooltoo looks desirable!!

Wholey Rocky Mountain oysters!! Those burgers look awesome!! Might have to try that technique! I do something similar when making my patties...I don't flatten em out till they hit the grill..might have to break out the griddle now!

Thanks John...bet they were tasty!

looks practically untouched - do you grind it yourself or just have a good butcher?

I saw the same type method the other night on United States of Bacon, except the chef used a large spatula. Gonna give this a try, and hope mine turn out as good as yours! The meal looks great!
Tim

Beautiful burgers! Love that searing.

Now, to the old addage that you should never press your burgers because you'll force all the juice out: do you think that happens in this case? Doesn't appear to be dried out from the pics.

John, those look fantastic! I loved the video too. Now I want that flat top set up for my grill!
I wonder how he made it.

Back