Breaking in the WSM

Tim McCann

TVWBB Honor Circle
Well after all the mods. done for now I decided to start the seasoning. Got 6 bone in chicken breasts, but after opening the packages there was a sorry amount of skin, so hopefully this won't dry out. Marinated in Italian zesty overnight, decided to do 2 different rubs.
Angelo's
photo-23.jpg

Taku Wild Cherry Chipotle (From Alaska)
photo-24.jpg

Loaded her up with KBB and some cherry chips(pecan all wet). Let it get to about 275* then put the breasts on. No wind at all in the morning but of course just before I fired the smoker up the winds picked up! Cold drizzle and swirling wind in my back yard, I will be in for a treat! Figured it would run hot like everyone has experienced but once I put the chicken on it never went back up to 275*. Pretty much stayed stable at around the 250* mark. Before I got the breasts on once it got closer to 270* I cut the lower vents to about 1/3 open, top full open.
photo-26.jpg

After 1 hour I decided to peek and flip and add some hot links! Maverick says 135*
photo-25.jpg

Looks kind of dry? Will see though. Not much skin, that could result in dryness?

Hard for me to do breasts without some dryness. I haven't tried injecting or brining them, that might helf. Bet they taste good, anyway.

Well all done! I'm a hero in the house again! Turned out great! Pulled and had it on some fresh tortillas! Very juicy!
photo-27.jpg

photo-28.jpg

Conclusion:

WSM is a great tool in the yard! Rock solid steady temps. on the first smoke! Stayed between 244-251* for 2 hours, would have stayed longer,(I guess) but I had to open to add charcoal.
Maverick is a tool that everyone with a smoker should have! Takes all the guessing out of it! No peeking!
Lesson learned: Must fill the ring all the way up! 9 lbs. of KBB was not enough to finish my smoke.

Sorry about the crappy phone pics!

Great looking plate of food Tim! Must have been real windy cuz 9 pounds of KB should have been more than enough.

Thanks Guys! Been lurking on here for awhile, figure I'd show what I've learned from you guys! First of many smokes! Already planning for my first long smoke, next weekend!

Looks terrific. Definitely the first of many great smokes that seem to be off to a great start

Thanks John! Yes planning my next few smokes already! Ribs on sale down here now so I might have to secure some! Shoulder is already been requested so might as well load it up! ABTs and meatballs maybe. I see a fattie in my future also.

Back