My Mini WSM

TE Good

TVWBB Member
Here is my Mini WSM
miniwsm.jpg

Last edited:
looks great. love the charcoal basket. i really need to make one for my mini but i have been lazy!

Nice hawg. keep the rubber side down :cool:

Last edited:
Wind Block, Thermal Blanket

Here in North Texas I have been battling the wind and with some cold weather coming, I made this based on the WSM Silver Bullet Jacket from BBQ Guru. I have used it twice now and have noticed that my fuel consumption has been cut in half with the outside temp being 45-50 degrees. Cooking wings at 275-285 degrees, the only area that feels slightly warm to the touch is the top.

Product used http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...ix+24+in.+x+10+ft.&storeId=10051#.UMPW-XchPnh and some 1" binder clips.

8' of the Reflectex will wrap around the mini twice with a 1"-2" gap. The top is made from the remaining 2' of the Reflectex.

miniwsmblanket1.jpg

miniwsmblanket2.jpg

miniwsmblanket4.jpg

miniwsmblanket3.jpg

miniwsmblanket5.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I changed diffusers from the 12" clay saucers (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Terra+Cotta+Saucer&storeId=10051#.UOiSznf67DE) to an 11" pie pan. I've had 3 clay saucers crack down the middle on cold days. Found this 11" pie pan at Marshalls (Ross) for $2. The biggest differences I have found are, the temps will go from 0 degrees to 280-300 degrees in 10-15 minutes and I can maintain 230-250 degrees with the vent 1/8th open.

New 11" pie pan diffuser:
miniwsmdiffuser1_zps311f56b6.jpg

miniwsmdiffuser2_zpsd0d83045.jpg

TE, you have found out what a couple of us have been screaming for quite a while. On these little smokers, a clay saucer robs you of heat and fuel. With space at a premium, the more fuel used to heat the clay saucer, the shorter your burn times will be. I simply foil the steamer tray, and that has become my diffuser. By not having the clay saucer absorbing heat, you achieve the desired temp faster, and can maintain that temp longer. It's my opinion that the clay saucer acts more as a heat sink then a diffuser. I really like your build, and your "Tin Man" heat shield is nothing short of genius!
Great Work,
Tim

Back