Roadside on the WSM

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Inspired by Chris' Front Page photo, I decided to make Bryon's Roadside Chicken since I already had the marinade & basting juice in the fridge.
Like many parts of America yesterday, it was raining... butt dry in the Pigvilion.

DSCN2698.JPG

fired up the 22" WSM with Kingsford Original and had a coupla pieces of apple wood on hand.

DSCN2708.JPG

once that got lit-up, the marinated bird halves hit the grate.
They were also dusted with Stubb's Chile-Lime Spice Rub.

DSCN2713.JPG

Basted the bird every ten minutes...

DSCN2715.JPG

After 35 minutes or so, the bird rolled over.

DSCN2717.JPG

turned the access door "up-side-down" using Lonnie Mac's mod to up the heat a little...

DSCN2734.JPG

poured a fine brew... then flopped the bird to finish...

DSCN2737.JPG

DSCN2739.JPG

Delicata squash & Yukons were roasted in the oven, and served along with the Roadside...

DSCN2746.JPG

Penzey's Tuscan Sunset was sprinkled over the squash...

DSCN2747.JPG

Roadside is STILL a favourite here... next time, I'll make the Cornell for fun!
Thank you all for visiting!

Jim,looks awesome as usual! The cornell is a really good recipe,but I have yet to try the roadside. Luckily,Pammi and our best friends are pretty open to what I want to cook!

Best looking bird in a long time! I still rate the cornell over the standard roadside. But thats just me. And then again i have never had YOUR roadside! Quality post Jim!

Jim...roadside chicken is my favorite...I am glad you got out to grill yesterday..I am hope to get out today...just need the rain to let up! I need a horse pavillion or something!

Excellent cooking in the rain Jim! Your weather looks like mine this weekend!

Great looking roadside! Wish I had some for breakfast!

Chicken looks outstanding, I havent done roadside chicken for a while, will have to put it on the to do list.

Amazing looking RSC, Jim. I haven't tried to butterfly a chicken yet. Looks like you have mastered it!

Just curious…how did the Chile-Lime Spice Rub work with the marinade?

Mike

Great looking chicken my friend! Does roadside chicken get crispy skin? I can't seem to get it on any chicken I smoke!

From the pics it appears the cooking was done without a water bowl, ie "direct but far away from the coals" rather than smoking.

I usually get crispy skin when I cook that way.

Looks a lot like my second cook this weekend, but it snowed here, as well. Bummer, I still have a lot of work to do before winter comes. An awsome cook! Would you like some Xantan gum to thicken your baste? It really does wonders!

thanks for your nice words:)

Daniel, what is "standard roadside"?
Roadside is AWESOME!
Cornell Is AWESOME!!
is "standard roadside" more boring than AWESOME Roadside? ;)

Mike, the Stubb's Chile-Lime is great! on the chicken... i was a little hestitant using it, butt it tasted quite good with the baste.

Bob, no more lights have been added to the PV, it's only a fancy photo makin' it look like it's brighter.

RCB, this Roadside DID get crispy skin FOR THE MOST PART.... i'd say 80% was crisp! Still Good!

and Yes, John, no water bowl, a nice distance from the direct flames (i was actually laughing while basting the bird with the flames shooting sky high:D )

Geir, late-comer :) I perfer the baste to drip into the coals, causes a great flame and i hope flavour

Great pics Jim. The RSC looks great, too. That first shot with the flash hitting the raindrops made me think you had snow for a second.

Jim - Phenomal all around. Great cook, great pics and great pigvillion! Really wonderful that we can enjoy whay you experienced from far away!

Back