Best way to reheat brisket?

Scott in SoCal

TVWBB Member
I've found that no matter how good and juicy my brisket is when I serve it the first time, it tends to dry out quickly by the time I'm ready for leftovers.

What is the best way to reheat brisket to "moisturize" it when eating leftovers?

Thanks!

Although I love my brisket with its natural juices the first day, on day two I usually put in a pan and add enough home made bbq sauce to make for a nice sandwich.

I've found that no matter how good and juicy my brisket is when I serve it the first time, it tends to dry out quickly by the time I'm ready for leftovers.

What is the best way to reheat brisket to "moisturize" it when eating leftovers?

Thanks!

In the oven, in a shallow pan (foil or other) covered with foil with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of beef broth, at 350 for however long it takes, check in a half hour and then every 15 mins thereafter. Warm to about 160 +-. It shouldn't take longer (but may) than an hour.

When I have leftover brisket or pulled pork I freeze them in foodsaver vacuum seal bags. They stay fresh forever in those things. Then, when I'm ready to reheat, I place the bag in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Depending on how much meat is in the vacuum bag, I continue boiling for five or ten minutes. This method produces moist, tender meat without requiring adding any kind of liquid.

Bill

I do like Bill does except for one diff: I use my crock pot half-filled with water and set to 'warm'. Without the lid, it is stable at 140 degrees. Put the sealed bag in and wait.
This way, the meat can't get any hotter than 140, so there's no chance of overcooking it when you are just trying to re-heat it.
btw: If 140 makes you feel nervous, I'd set my crock to 'high' until it gets to the temp you think is safe and then switch it to 'low' or 'warm' to maintain the temp. I've been using my crock pot as a poor man's 'sous vides' like this for over a year and it's been working for me.

When I have leftover brisket or pulled pork I freeze them in foodsaver vacuum seal bags. They stay fresh forever in those things. Then, when I'm ready to reheat, I place the bag in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Depending on how much meat is in the vacuum bag, I continue boiling for five or ten minutes. This method produces moist, tender meat without requiring adding any kind of liquid.

Bill

I do pretty much the same, however I bring it to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and simmer for ten minutes...then rest for another ten. Super important to take the temp when you open the bag to make sure that you get over the dreaded bacterial growth zone (40-145).

For leftover or frozen brisket I have done two things. 1) Slice cold then spritz with apple juice in a AL pan, coat BBQ sauce then heat in 300 F oven until > 150 F. 2) Make KC burnt ends. Cube the brisket, spritz with some apple juice in AL pan, add a few dollops of BBQ then heat in 300 F oven for 90-120 mins until hot and tender. #2 is a house fav with my young kids.

I separate the grease and store the au jus separately. If you have leftover, add it to the pan. If not, make some beef broth mixed with the rub. Be mindful this evaporates quickly.

Back