First Pastrami atempt - Doesn't taste like Pastrami

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Ok, so I followed the Pastrami recipe in the cooking section, execpt for 2 things.
1) Cured for 4 days not 3
2) Doubled the "Pastrami Cooking Rub" part of the recipe as it seem like there wasn't enough.

Anyway I smoked it today to an internal temp 165° and all went well.
I have two problems:
1) On one piece, the cure didn't fully penetrate the meat - Is there anyway to tell before smoking?
2) The Pastrami taste is really weak, even on the piece that fully cured. - Could this be because it wasnt cured long enough?

Oh well it is edible, just going to have to try again another time.

I have two problems:
1) On one piece, the cure didn't fully penetrate the meat - Is there anyway to tell before smoking?
2) The Pastrami taste is really weak, even on the piece that fully cured. - Could this be because it wasnt cured long enough?

Yep, a longer cure time will help with both problems.

~Martin

That pastrami sure does look good. My current theory is that nothing tastes authentic unless you add a whole lot of fresh garlic ;)

I'm having the opposite problem with the latest batch... think I cured too long (ended up as 8 days) so the meat is really red and feels/tastes almost raw despite being cooked to 140 at the coolest spot.

Maybe steaming it some more will help (he says without a lot of confidence).

Well some good news. After sitting for the night in the fridge had some for lunch today. The flavor has definately improved, tastes much more Pastrami-ish.

Ok, so I followed the Pastrami recipe in the cooking section, execpt for 2 things.
1) Cured for 4 days not 3
2) Doubled the "Pastrami Cooking Rub" part of the recipe as it seem like there wasn't enough.

Anyway I smoked it today to an internal temp 165° and all went well.
I have two problems:

Oh well it is edible, just going to have to try again another time.

I believe I've cured longer than that, but I think most of the flavor comes from the rub you put on after curing. Yours definitely looks right.

That pastrami sure does look good. My current theory is that nothing tastes authentic unless you add a whole lot of fresh garlic ;)

I'm having the opposite problem with the latest batch... think I cured too long (ended up as 8 days) so the meat is really red and feels/tastes almost raw despite being cooked to 140 at the coolest spot.

Maybe steaming it some more will help (he says without a lot of confidence).

Steaming it should help. I cooked mine to 165 right on the smoker.

"Cured for 4 days not 3" Curing is a function of time, temperature, concentration and thickness. When it's too cold, it takes longer to cure. Too warm will spoil meat. Concentration - lower concentrations of cure take longer to cure. Thicker meat takes longer.

You still get to eat your mistakes.

During smoking, you become acclimated to the smell. So the next day, it will taste smokier.

More information - Curing

Last edited:
My pastrami was the exact opposite. It had a really good pastrami flavor but was absolutely the most tough and leathery thing you've ever had in your mouth. After a stint in the pressure cooker it turned dry and stringy. I wish mine would've turned out edible like yours. My dog didn't even want it so it ended up in the trash. :(

I cured mine for 9 days using Alton Brown's Corned Beef brine recipe. Rubbed it down with cracked black pepper, crushed coriander, and a touch of brown sugar but not much. Smeared mustard on it too to help it stick. Don't know if that long of a cure had anything to do with the toughness.

My pastrami was the exact opposite. It had a really good pastrami flavor but was absolutely the most tough and leathery thing you've ever had in your mouth. After a stint in the pressure cooker it turned dry and stringy. I wish mine would've turned out edible like yours. My dog didn't even want it so it ended up in the trash.

Sorry to hear your's wasnt even salvagable. that is a major bummer. Don't give up, your story reminds me of my first two bacon atempts. My wife was refusing to let me spend anymore money on pork bellies after them. I convinced her to give me one more shot, now I can't make enough to keep in the house.

Well for not being Pastrami enough, the meat went fast. It's all gone with lots of compliments. So I guess it wasn't wasted. This week I am starting a Pork belly for some bacon, and in a couple of weeks I'll go for another Pastrami run.

RC, I feel for you! Couldn't grind it up for burger even? I'm looking at a recipe for chili that takes bacon and brisket (ideally). I've got six kilos of bacon curing and a few pounds of beef, but not brisket. I will give pastrami a try when I get brisket and keep my fingers crossed.

It was so cooked that by the time the ground beef would've been medium rare is would've been toast even if it was in the middle of the burger. Maybe I could've added some hard beef fat that I keep in the freezer for adding to lean cuts, but I've never tried grinding meat that has already been cooked. Chili wouldn't have been bad I guess since I could've thrown it in at the end, but I was just so ****ed off that not even the dog would touch it that I chunked it.

I'm thinking tongue is gonna be a better cut, albeit not traditional at all. I braised some last night in a good stock and it came out EXTREMELY tender, like, melt in your mouth tender. I bet after curing it would firm up a lot and be perfect after a smoke. That thread below this one is inspiring about giving it a try.

Back