Cast Iron Skillet

TJMartin

TVWBB Member
Just got my first Cast Iron Skillet, 12" Lodge Logic and I can't wait to cook on it.

Any suggestions what to cook on it first?

What are you favorite recipes to cook on your cast iron cookware? Outdoors and Indoors.

First time I did some Maxwell Street Polish.

IMAG0322.jpg

Tim

I like taking boiled red skin potatoes, chopping them up and frying them with butter and olive oil, seasoned with onion powder, salt, fresh ground pepper corn, paprika and throw in a few eggs. Makes for a hearty camp breakfast. You can throw some cut up ham or sausage in there too. Good eat'n.

Congrats on your new CIS. Last weekend I cooked mushrooms and scallops in wine sauce in a 1955 model Wagner CIS. This skillet was given to my parents as a wedding gift 57 years ago and it still cooks great.

Last edited:
TJ, First off, congrats on your first piece of cast iron! Once you get the hang of CI, you will never look at a teflon coated pan again...your pan will last all your life, all your kid's life, and well into your grandkids lives, and beyond. I have skillets that are 110+ years old that cook like they came off the shelf yesterday.
For new pieces, stick with foods that are nice and greasy for the first several many cooks....even though your Lodge is pre-seasoned, you need to maintain that seasoning and keep building layers. Avoid anything acidic for a long time, or you'll be re-seasoning in no time.
Mr. Lampes potatoes look like a nice option. I recommend cornbread....go buy a bag of cornmeal and cook several batches of ultra greasy bread.....feed it to the birds, they'll love you. Cornmeal is cheap, and it builds an awesome layer up the sides of the pan as well.

Dwain that pizza looks perfect(like your drink selections there as well!) shoot something to try! You guys are keeping me busy!

Excellent timing with the post TJ. I just picked up 2 cast iron skillets myself, a 10" and 12" KitchenAid. For all the Ontarians here they are on sale at Canadian Tire this week. Can't wait to try those taters this weekend, just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving!

Oh man, I love this so far. I'm felling the need to go buy another one now! I ended up cooking some mini breakfast sausage patties on it the other morning, they were good! I'm gonna cook a pizza on it next because that looks amazing and Pizza is one of my favorite foods.

Keep up all the good suggestions, this is going to be my cast iron skillet cook book thread lol.

I usually rinse it in warm water, dry it with a paper towel, put a light coating of oil on it and put it away until next time. I will use a nylon scrubbie or brush on it if necessary. I will occasionally just wipe it out with a paper towel and put it away depending on what was cooked. Once you have a good seasoning going they are pretty easy to care for.

Here's our typical camping/Saturday menu using our cis over an open flame or sitting on a bed of hot coals... Breakfest- bacon and eggs with chopped potatoes/onions/green peppers. Lunch- grilled cheese sandwiches. Dinner- ribeyes with sliced potatoes. The ribeyes sear up really nicely, highly recommend trying it this way at least once.

Just got my first Cast Iron Skillet, 12" Lodge Logic and I can't wait to cook on it.

Any suggestions what to cook on it first?

What are you favorite recipes to cook on your cast iron cookware? Outdoors and Indoors.

You could do blackened catfish. But, if you do, be prepared to burn the seasoning right off the pan. The Cajun restaurant at the local farmer's market has a cast iron pan that sits on a high power propane burner all day. When anyone orders blackened fish, they turn the burner way up and cook the fish. The cast iron pan is ash white from getting so hot. But the fish is great.

Bill

I'm a little late with a responce, but I always cook bacon first in a new cast iron skillet. Just sayin. The only thing to remember is to not cook acidic foods in seasoned cast iron.

Back