How accurate is the thermometer on the new 18 inch

TimO

Hello. Thanks in advance for the info. I am purchasing the new 18 inch wsm this week. I was curious if the temperature gauge is accurate, or is it still wise to purchase an oven thermometer and check the temp at the grate? Thanks Tim

Im sure the gauge is accurate...at dome level. The temp at grate level will be different. Id use the oven thermoter at grate level just to see what the difference in temp is. Im sure it will be 25-50 degrees different. A temp sensor at grate/food level is what is important.

TimO - It really depends on what you get accustomed to. For me, I've only measured what dome temp is, while other always go by grate temp.

Once you learn how the meat cooks utilizing a specific temperature point, you can measure temp anywhere as long as your consistent in your adjustments.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimO:
Do most wsm users go by the grate temp when smoking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that most are specific when giving their temps as to whether it is grate vs. vent. I started out almost always measuring grate, then I learned my cooker and what the differential usually is (20), and now I just hang the probe down the vent (Maverick ET-23). Much easier...and easier is usually better for BBQ.

I only use dome temps. It is the same with my Klose pit. The temp 4" in, at the end of the thermo, is 25 degrees different than 10" further in. Learn your cooker. Once you do, the process is pretty forgiving!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimO:
Do most wsm users go by the grate temp when smoking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that most are specific when giving their temps as to whether it is grate vs. vent. I started out almost always measuring grate, then I learned my cooker and what the differential usually is (20), and now I just hang the probe down the vent (Maverick ET-23). Much easier...and easier is usually better for BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don: I have a Maverick ET-7, so using your system I would just put it through the top vent of my WSM and hang it down half-way between the lid dome and the top grate??

Richard

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

My remote therm has about a 7" probe, so when I dangle it through the lid vent, it is about 1/2 way down, so I get a pretty good mid-range on the temp. I've never at grate level specifically, and my food comes out darn good. I also am not one to get really hung up on the temp, if I'm close, I'm happy.

By way of review, which temperature is generally higher: dome top or grate? I have an after-market analog thermometer in the dome (opposite the top vent). Should I expect temps to be higher or lower at the grate? How much different? Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Moore:
By way of review, which temperature is generally higher: dome top or grate? I have an after-market analog thermometer in the dome (opposite the top vent). Should I expect temps to be higher or lower at the grate? How much different? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Dave mentions above, it depends on how long the probe on your dome thermo is and at what point in the cook you are doing the measuring. For me, comparing the 1.5 inch probed Weber therm in my WSM to my grate temps, I see 30-40 degrees higher at the grate that slowly evens out to only a 5-10 degree difference a few hours into the cook.

Others who use a longer probed thermo in the dome seem to report closer temps between the dome and grate.

Best thing to do, IMO, is simply to get to know your own cooker. The temp differences will vary based on how much meat you have in there, how cold it was when you put it in, how much lit fuel you start with, whether you use water, sand, clay pot, etc.

I think I will simply drill another hole and put another thermometer in the side of it that will extend right below the top grate. thanks.

Im a little late to this thread but this is my experience with my new 18.5 with built in thermomter.

When I got the WSM and before I cooked on it I tested the thermometer by diping the probe into boiling water. It read right on the money.

I also use a Maverick et-7 probe through a potato on the top grate to monitor the temp at the grate. In my first cooks the temps were farther apart (25*-30*). Some times the grate temp would be higher and other times the lid temp was higher. But they would usually even out after a couple hours into the cook. Today with three 4 - 4/5 lb pork butts and one 8 lb pork picnic on, the temps are alot closer together (10* - 15*). Could be I have more meat on the grill than my previous cooks.

I am certainly not an expert and someone elses experience my be different, but what I have learned about BBQ is it is not rocket science. We sometimes have a tendency to over think things especially the cooker temp. As long as your temps are close your cook will turn out well.

This is a timely thread. So after reading this last night, I was very curious about the thermometer on my new 18.5". I have a 13.5 lb brisket in the smoker as I type. the lid thermometer is reading 200. I put an oven thermometer in last night and it's ready 245 ish. I was under the impression the lid temp would always be higher. clearly I was mistaken, or my oven thermometer is way off.

Update here. I bought a 2nd oven thermometer this morning. Right now, my lid thermometer is reading 220 while both oven thermometers sitting next to my brisket are reading 250. Good to know and explains a few things for me. I'll always have both going from now on.

Not to throw this thread off topic, but, how come no one uses the little bracket that comes with the Maverick?

I never used it with my CG, because the cooking grates are different, but since I have gotten the WSM, it clips right on the cooking grate, and holds the probe right at grate level.

And, I am only using it so I don't have to run outside all the time to check the temp.

Back