99 pounds of meat -- post 3, the turkey, and miscellany

Gil Matar

TVWBB Fan
And we had 3 turkey breasts, 5 pounds each.

Here's one of them:

smoked turkey, 1 of 3 by gilaadm, on Flickr

And sliced:

turkey breast slices by gilaadm, on Flickr

A friend of mine flew in from Philly to do this with me. He was responsible for the ribs. He also decided that we needed to eat at 3:30 AM:

330 am breakfast, neshama sausages, eggs, beer, taboule, sriracha by gilaadm, on Flickr

And here is a very tired, but very happy me, after only 90 minutes of sleep, and lots of beer, enjoying a rib. The cook started at 10:00 PM on Saturday night, over 80 friends (it might have been closer to 100, including kids) showed up at 3:00 PM on Sunday.

me eating a rib by gilaadm, on Flickr

Now, how do I top this next year? :)

Last edited:
Looks like a great time was had. I'm sensing a new theme for this gathering - The Century Party. A hundred pounds of meat in one weekend.

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, it was an awesome weekend. Good thing that we planned it for the Sunday of Labor Day, so that I could relax at the pool all day on Monday. And when I started this party 3 years ago I never would have imagined that I would get up to this many pounds. And I agree that I will have to pass the century mark next year. :)

Cooking for 100 folks is no small feat. Congrats on a great time. I cooked for 15 folks on the same day, and we ate at 3. Unfortunately, one of my buds showed up with a bottle of Glenlivet, hence, no good pictures...none by me, anyway!

Yes, its like getting help for backyard constuction projects in SoCal; just promise Carne Asada Taco and Corona's and the help will find YOU!!

Great cook Gil! That's 99 pounds of expertly prepared barbecue. Did you have any sides, or was this a carb-free feast?

Great cook Gil! That's 99 pounds of expertly prepared barbecue. Did you have any sides, or was this a carb-free feast?

Thanks! The logistics of this were crazy, so I assigned out all the sides, other than corn on the cob that I made on the grill. I had people bring fruit, cole slaw, potato salad, etc...

Back