Virginia > Newport News: Rocky Mount BBQ

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
10113 Jefferson Ave
Newport News, VA 23605
Closed Sundays!
http://www.rockymountbbq.com/

I am in Newport News on a business trip and went to the closest 5 star BBQ joint rated by Yelp. This was a small place where the waitresses know all the locals by name. According to the banners on the wall they received the best ribs and BBQ in the area 3 years on a row. I had the combo rib and pork plate and had to make an excrutiating decision on three sides from a list of 32.

I settled on collard greens, fried okra and black eye peas. The meal came with hushpuppies as well. The look of the meat was not impressive but the tenderness and taste made up for it. It had a kind of light tan color to it. When asked if I wantd vinegar or red sauce I asked for both and gladly received them. The red was a tomatoe based sauce that reminded me of spagetti sauce ...but for some reason I kept dipping the rib meat in it. It was interestingly good. The vinegar sauce was straight out of the Carolinas with a nice spice to it. It was a great compliment to the pork. The texture of the pork reminded me of crock pot cooking: kind of but not really chopped/not really pulled/kinda mushy/but pretty darn good feel to it. The was no bark or smoke ring but it was not bad.

The okra was probably frozen from a bag but the collards and black eye peas were more than likely fresh or at least highly doctored up for a good fresh imitation. They were good.

I would probably look around for another place if I had the choice. If I didn't have the choice I wouldn't complain - it was not bad/pretty good.

Back