5 lb. Chuck Roast, What temp? How Long?

Ryan Foote

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

Smoking a 5lb chuck roast tomorrow. Gonna make enchiladas. What temp would you suggest, and how long should it take? Have some folks coming over and wanna plan accordingly.

Thanks for the help! Let's go Niners :)

Ryan

Sounds like ya are gonna want to pull it for enchiladas. I would cook em until 165 internal on the WSM?? Kettle??
Then so ya don't miss any of the game, wrap em in HD foil and put em in the oven at 325 until a fork turns easily when stuck in the roast. Let em rest in the foil for a bit and then shred away and please save me an enchilada!!

Whaddayathing Weber Nation, does this sound like a good plan??

I did three shoulder clods last weekend for shredding.. I cooked on avg at 260, at about 160 internal I foiled with a little beef broth and rub.

I started about midnight and they were done about 10am. My pieces were 14,16, and 17 lbs.. your 5 lber will cook mush faster.

I would start in the am early maybe about 6am.. cook at 275ish, should be done around noonish. If time is running short ramp up the temps to 325-350 to finish the cook or stick it in the oven.

Ryan,

Try Larry's recipe for Pepper Stout Beef filed in the beef recipe section. It is awesome, you won't regret it. You can take your tough chuck roast and turn it into flavorful pulled beef.

P Larson

That's why I love this place, thanks for all the tips. I threw it on at 5a.m., planning on staying around 250 temp, and getting it done by noonish. Enchiladas by game time!

Yeah P, that pepper stout looks delicious! On the to do list for sure. You all have a great Week 1!

Don't forget I answered first and I should get an enchilada for my quick response.......
1987_food.gif

Back