Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

TVWBB Gold Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar

HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

Continuing on the success of the LinkMeter Project come the HeaterMeter v4.0 revision for RasbperryPi or standalone use.

HeaterMeter for RaspberryPi joins an Arduino / AVR ATmega328 microcontroller with OpenWrt running on a RaspberryPi $35 wonder-computer for the purpose of providing oven-like control of a charcoal BBQ grill via web interface. The microcontroller controls a fan which limits airflow to the pit, displays the current status on a character LCD, and passes the data on to the RaspberyPi which streams real-time updates to connected web browsers. The website also works on mobile browsers running Android or iOS, allowing users to unchain themselves from their grills and partake in many life-enriching activities such as
    • Going to the grocery store to buy more beer
    • Going to a bar to drink more beer
    • Not get off the couch, where your beer is
    • Possibly other non-beer related hobbies

HeaterMeter is also reportedly suitable for connecting to a solid state relay and controlling a sous vide heater if you prefer your food float around in fancy water instead of smoke and fire.

LinkMeter Home Screen

Project Page - GitHub Hosting
    LinkMeter/HeaterMeter is an 100% open source project and is hosted on my GitHub page. The ultimate source for information is the HeaterMeter Project Wiki and the TVWBB SubForum. Open source means you're free to modify it as you see fit. Change the background color to cyan, replace everywhere it says "Pit" with the word "Poo", rewrite the whole thing in Visual Basic or just add a feature I'm too dumb or busy to implement.

Hardware
    Pin compatible with the v3.0 units, HeaterMeter v4.0 changes form factor to better integrate with the RaspberryPi. All jacks and buttons are now contained on the board itself, requiring no external button boards or wiring. Schematics are in git, but please use the v4.0 snapshots as git may be experimental depending on when you see it. Parts lists and build instructions are in the wiki. The wireless adapter of choice is an Realtek 8192cu-based USB wifi adapter. The Edimax EW-7811Un or Airlink AWLL5099 work better than their $10 price tag would imply.

Software
    The temporary home for the OpenWrt image, which includes the HeaterMeter AVR firmware is on my website. Unzip the img from the openwrt-rpi.zip file and write it to an SD card (32MB or larger) using Win32DiskImager. Insert it and off you go.

I already have a LinkMeter WRT54GL is this better?
    Well life wouldn't be worth living if everything didn't always get better would it? Take your bulky old Linksys router and throw it directly into the garbage. HeaterMeter v4.0 improves on this design
    • Small! 3.2" x 4.2" x 1.0" overall
    • Piezo buzzer alarm goes beep-beep-beep, deafening unsuspecting B(BQ)urglers
    • 3 LEDs with upcoming customization functions in both on and off varieties
    • Much faster web interface, up to 10x in vague subjective analysis
    • Built-in storage without soldering teeny wires and wrecking your junk
    • No more ISCP/USBTinyISP/Optiboot bootloader loading operation, blank chip is automatically flashed on first boot
    • No TFTP flashing, just write the image to an SD card and go
    • Reliable serial operation make you feel like you're US Robotics and it is 1997 forever

Sounds great, but is it pretty?
    3D printed cases are all the rage, and you can have one printed by any friend with an extrusion printer in probably around $25 in materials. Helpful forum members can also print one for you.

The FUTURE
    I have been putting in 30+ hours a week for months on this project, with development starting nearly 3 years ago now. There are tons of new features to add (see the TODO list in the wiki) and new ideas keep coming from new users.

HeaterMeter 4.0 PCBs
    I order them from OSH Park, where they come in quantity 3. You're free to order your own set, and sell your extras here. OSH Park also now has them available in singles in their store.
    Last edited by Bryan Mayland; 04-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.

looks like a nice design on the case. I cannot wait to start this project, even though I only used the Linksys one three times. :-)

Is that the same LCD as the Linksys version? I still have that LCD on hand from the other project as I didn't use it.

I was following the other topic closely, but people here may have not. Does Class of the SD card make any difference? Brand?
    Last edited by Dennis C; 09-02-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    WSM 22.5 Smoker, Weber 26.75 Grill

TVWBB Fan
    Hi Bryan,

Can you post your eagle libraries with v4 sch and brd files? I'd like to use a power adapter for the blower output, rather than RCA for a more robust connection.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
    Is that the same LCD as the Linksys version? I still have that LCD on hand from the other project as I didn't use it.

I was following the other topic closely, but people here may have not. Does Class of the SD card make any difference? Brand?
    Yeah the LCD is the same, as are most of the other parts. The LCD is the one component I try to use as much as possible when building these things, on account of them being the most expensive part.

The SD card speed shouldn't matter. We're still on OpenWrt so that's designed to run on much slower flash devices. I'd stick with verified working Raspbery Pi SD cards, although the compatibility is pretty good so if you have an old card you were planning to use, try it before you purchase one. If you have a monitor plugged in, there should be no repeating errors about "still waiting for final write" or "status error -110".

Dave, you should be able to just copy paste any part I have on the schematic to get a new instance of it. I'll post my library tomorrow though.

TVWBB Pro
    Dave,
    If you modify the blower output connector to a standard DC power connector, I'll buy the other two boards if you don't want them

I prefer the DC power connectors as well, I always feel like I'm going to short something out with an RCA connection.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Casazza View Post
    Hi Bryan,

Can you post your eagle libraries with v4 sch and brd files? I'd like to use a power adapter for the blower output, rather than RCA for a more robust connection.

Thanks,

Dave

FYI Newegg also has the EW-7811Un for the same price and free shipping.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
    FYI Newegg also has the EW-7811Un for the same price and free shipping.
    Thanks! Just ordered one.

dave

Ordered all my parts. Digi-key had two and Mouser had one part that was not in stock and backordered. Looks like I'm waiting a month to get the parts, unless they get it in sooner.

Digi-Key -
    S7116-ND CONN HEADER FMAL 26PS.1" DL GOLD Estimated Ship Date 9/26/2012
    811-2692-ND 24VIN 5VOUT 1.5AMP SIP HORIZONT Estimated Ship Date 9/27/2012 (Available from Mouser now.)

Mouser -
    163-7620E-E DC Power Connectors PCB 2.1MM Estimated Ship Date 10/4/2012

Gives me time to order the case once Bryan's is done.

The 26 pin connector you can get the tin version instead of the gold:
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...7081-ND/810219

The barrel jack is a pretty standard part so you should be able to find numerous replacements. The part chosen there just seemed to fit best in the holes.

Ordered already so no biggie. I don't mind waiting on the parts. I have the Linksys that I can play around with for the time being.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast