Re-Crisp Fried Chicken?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I make fried chicken about once or twice a year. Has anyone found a good method for re-crisping it upon reheating? I do have a convection oven. I shallow-fry it in about 3/8" oil to get the coating set and lightly colored, then finish it on a rack over a sheet pan in the oven.

Rita

Last edited:
Never been able to get it crispy on the 2nd go-round.

I ALWAYS re-heat in a toaster oven and it doesn't help. Both reheated pizza and chicken come out hot but not crisp. Must be the steam coming off the heated product preventing it from happening.

I agree, Len. Next time I'm going to try bringing the chicken to room temp for 30 to 60 minutes, then popping it into a 450° convection oven to see if a super-hot blast will re-fry the coating.

Otherwise, I'll just serve the leftover chicken cool or at room temperature and call it "Picnic Chicken."

Rita

Your best bet is with a convection oven. Place the chicken on a cookie cooling rack over a pan. Either bring to room temp then blast, as you note, or reheat in the oven at, say, 325 till 140-150 IT, then raise the temp of the oven 100-150˚.

It doesn't hurt to piece the chickens skin in several places using the tip of a thin-bladed knife before reheating/re-crisping. It is moisture that prevents re-crisping. Providing an avenue (or several) for moisture to escape can help.

The last time I had leftovers, I did put the chicken on a rack over a pan and cooked at 325°. I belatedly realized that I should have raised the heat sooner or started at a higher temp. It takes my oven forever to achieve a higher temp but by the time it got to 400° I did notice that the coating was a little better, but still not as crisp as I was hoping for, and removed the chicken for fear of overcooking it -- it was still very juicy (I'd used a seasoned buttermilk brine).

I never thought of piercing the skin. I'll do that. And raise the temp sooner.

Thanks, Kevin!

Rita

I reheat my pizza in an old square griddle on the stovetop too, but dry. I never thought to add butter. That's a nice flavor boost and it would make it crispier. I'll give it a try the next time. Thanks, John!

Rita

Adding a little fat - either to the pan or as a spray directly to the meat's surface - can help, if the surfaces are fairly devoid of fat. Higher temps are a must in this case.

If you have a deep fryer this is the best way by far. Get the oil to 375 and place room temp chicken pieces and just cook until the crust darkens ever so slightly and it is recrisped.

Serious Eats did this with Popeye's chicken and it looked amazing. I always reheat french fries or chicken fingers in my GE deep fryer. It really can bring leftover cold soggy fries and chicken back to their crispy glory. The secret is to not let anything you put in there over darken or you're gonna have very greasy food, and that isn't good eats ever.

Back