Smoking a packer brisket on the mini-wsm

Edward Alt

In order to fit a brisky on the mini, I took my lower cooking grate and the small Weber rib rack and modded them so the rib rack sits vertical on the lower cooking grate. Then drape the brisket over the rib rack, fat side down, so the point and opposite end of flat hang down on each side of the rib rack in the mini. My brisket weighed 13.59 lbs from the store. Not sure what it weighed after trimming. It is smoking as I type this. Will post more detail and pics ...

Ya see,I am not the only one that says Briskie around here!! ;) Can hardly wait for those pics!!

I've been taking a few pics. Will post soon. Flat is foiled, wrapped with towels, and in the cooler. Re-rubbed the point and put it back on the smoker for burnt ends ...

Took a Weber small rib rack and turned it on its side. Bent the last rib upright so it was perpendicular to the horizontal. Bent each end so it wasn't too tall. Lined it up perpendicular to the cooking grate, and had to cut a notch out in the singe connector bar that goes across the middle, for the rib rack to fit through. Used stainless steel wire to tie it to the cooking grate.
IMG_00104.jpg

Put the cooking grate with the perpendicular rib rack directly on top of the foil wrapped clay saucer. With the hardware for the upper cooking grate and the thermometer in the side of the steamer pot, it's tricky getting this in, but it's doable. There is no room for anything else, except the brisket and Maverick 732 wireless remote thermometers. Draped the trimmed and rubbed packer brisket across the rib rack with the fat cap down. The brisket hung down the sides of the rib rack. I may have been able to fit a slightly larger packer on, but this worked nicely for my first brisket.
IMG_00102.jpg

Started cooking around 12:30 am and kept a constant 200 grill temp. Went to sleep. At around 9:30 am the internal temp was up around 163. Wrapped the brisket in foil, and put back on. Around 10:30 am I had to stir the coals as the grill temp started falling a little.

Not sure exactly when but at 187 internal temp I took the brisket off.
IMG_00103.jpg

Wrapped another layer of foil around it, two towels, and put it in an empty cooler for 30 minutes. Then separated the flat from the point, put the flat back in the empty cooler, and re-rubbed the point and put it back on an ordinary cooking grate in the smoker.

After two or three hours, took the point off, cubed it, applied a little more rub, and put the cubes directly on the cooking grate for a little while.
IMG_00106.jpg

In retrospect, I should have either sauced the cubes a little, or served them at this point, as I ended up drying them out a little.

Sliced the flat and served both brisket and burnt ends.
IMG_00107.jpg

Last edited:
Edward Alt, Howdy;

Where's my plate, I'll bring my appitite with me...:D
Lookin' good !!!
Excellent pix and write-up.....

hank

Back