Small Batch Indoor Cold Smoking......

I spent several weeks looking for a reliable and inexpensive way to do indoor cold smoking.
I settled on rolled cigarettes (LOL) heated with a soldering iron because it’s possible to smoke with pure tea leaves, herbs, sawdust, etc. without the fuel burning up too rapidly.
I invested about $20 in the cigarette roller, papers, soldering iron, spring and clamp.

512x384px-LL-9a0d405b_2vnngh3.jpeg

Below is some rosemary being rolled.

512x384px-LL-2e1c8463_2coh6jm.jpeg

Maple smoked butter, rosemary smoked foccacia, tea smoked hard-boiled eggs….the possibilities are endless.

512x384px-LL-158331b2_1zf0k07.jpeg

The cigarette must be able to slide freely inside the spring. The soldering iron raises the temperature inside the cold oven only about 10 degrees above room temperature. Each cigarette smokes for about 30-40 minutes. A vent hood is recommended. My vent hood doesn’t vent to the outside, but that wasn’t a problem with a window open and the ceiling fan running. : )

Note: Placing a bowl over the targeted food does help to concentrate the smoke.

It's habit forming!!!!!

Have fun!!!

~Martin :cool:

what have you tried so far?

what I've found, is that many smoldering spices transfer a flavor that is very similar, if not identical to the spice it self.

That is brilliant. Just don't get pulled over with any of those "cigs" in your car, might make for a lengthy explanation.

what have you tried so far?

what I've found, is that many smoldering spices transfer a flavor that is very similar, if not identical to the spice it self.

I've used several herbs, teas and powders, yes, the flavor of the smoke is usually quite similar.

That's kind of brilliant. You should market that.

Thanks!

That is brilliant. Just don't get pulled over with any of those "cigs" in your car, might make for a lengthy explanation.

Thanks and LOL to the possible ramifications in carrying it around!!!

~Martin :)

Back