splenda in a rub and garlic powder vs granulated garlic

MKEvenson

TVWBB Wizard
Having company for a Q Sat. I am planning on using SYD rub on my ribs. I am diabetic and was wondering if subbing Splenda for the white sugar would affect the characteristics of the rub/bark formation? I have used splenda for years but not in rubs. Also, recipe calls for granulated garlic. I have powdered garlic on hand. Can't see a difference except texture but wondered if a 1:1 substitution of powder to granuals is right.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Hey Mark, if you would do a google search you would see that you use approx 1/2 the amount of garlic powder to replace granulated garlic. The texture still ain"t the same!

There's a huge thread on the bbq bretheren forum where some guy tested lots of spices, sugars, and sauces, and see what they did with heat. He tested 20 sugars, including splenda. The notes were "had a complex sweet flavor, no burnt taste at all" so it sounds like its a go.

Originally posted by John09:
There's a huge thread on the bbq bretheren forum where some guy tested lots of spices, sugars, and sauces, and see what they did with heat. He tested 20 sugars, including splenda. The notes were "had a complex sweet flavor, no burnt taste at all" so it sounds like its a go.

Ya, I printed that yesterday. I know the flavor will be ok I am just concerned with the carmelization properties of Splenda.

Being diabetic and having lost a 150 lbs and kept it off I am a kina semi expert on splenda IMO anyway . I have yet to find a recipe if you work at it that you can't sub splenda for sugar in it !

I have found thou to get the same amt of sweet flavor you sometimes need to up the amt of splenda about 10 to 20% .

Iam also living proof you can eat BBQ in moderation and not gain weight . And some pork and even beef is not any worse for you than any other meat prepared properly .

I don't look at being a diabetic as much of big thing now losing the weight eating right has just become a way of life and not somthing I have to work at .

Back