Standing Rib Roast - Low Temperature Roast

Kent

TVWBB Member
This recipe addresses low temperature roasting of a standing rib roast. What may be different about this recipe is that the roast is seared indirectly at the beginning rather than directly at the end of the roasting period.

Let the roast[three ribs from small end] warm 2-3 hours to room temperature. Salt and pepper generously. Apply bacon fat or previously rendered beef fat to both cut ends of the roast. Tie the roast to maintain shape. Place a drip pan below the center of the grate. Set up for high indirect heat from both sides on the 22" Weber. Heat to 400F. Place the roast fat side down, and roast for ten minutes. Turn and roast bone side down for 10 minutes. At this point there will be moderate browning of the fat cap, minimal brown of the cut ends, and at least 1/4 cup of drippings with beef fat in the drip pan. Remove the roast from the grill, put it on a roasting pan and roast bone side down in a conventional oven at 200F. It takes at about three hours for the internal temp. to rise to 120F with the 200 degree oven temperature. Remove the roast and rest it. Because the roasting has been very slow, less than the usual resting is needed because the temperature difference from the edge to the center of the roast is minimal. I rest in a warming oven at 150F. The roast will appear browned as it does when you roast at the usual temp. of 350. The meat, however, is rare from edge to edge with absolutely no grey zone. It retains moisture better than any other technique I have tried.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken P.:
Here's a longer discussion of the low/slo oven way to go:

cookingforengineers Rib Roast
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I followed that low and slow recipe and achieved amazing results...medium rare from one edge to the other...definitely the way to go! I might consider searing it at the end of the cook to get a crispy edge, maybe not.

0_0_ebb267771b124e9f802d4cd683a9f4c1_1

Cool ideas guys! I'm a prime rib fanatic
icon_eek.gif
I use my WSM with a 1 chunk oak and 1 chunk mesquite ta slooowly bring internal to 120*...rest 20mins then 550* oven to crust her up a bit....great color + a lil' Smokieness
icon_razz.gif

I basically follow the same low and slow recipe. But after resting for about 25 minutes, I return it to a 500 degree oven set on convection for 5 minutes to crisp up the outside. Turns out perfect every time.
DSC021671024x681.jpg

DSC021691024x681.jpg

conventional oven or convection oven

Question: For slow cooking Standing Prime rib I see oven temps of 200 & 225 and various times quoted but I assume this is for a conventional oven? I am looking for the temp and time for a convection oven, I will use my ovens probe but want the Standing Prime rib to be ready to come out of oven at 4pm to allow for a 20 minute resting time out of oven before serving at 4:30 dinner. I sure don't want it to be ready an hour or two early Thanks

I did something very similar by using the PRIME RIB recipe found in The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated Cookbook). I seared the roast on all sides in cast iron then cooked low and slow on the WSM. They were med rare from one end to the other as advertised.

IMG_1214_zpsa2ee1919.jpg

Back