Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Roadside Chicken

TVWBB Olympian
    If you like the chicken from the roadside chicken stands then you'll like this. I've been making this for about 15 years now and it's pretty darn good.
    ROADSIDE CHICKEN
    1 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup veg oil
    1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
    1 TBS Sea or Kosher salt
    1 TBS white sugar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp white pepper
    1/2 tsp celery salt
    Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce. I apply the sauce every 5 min to both sides and turn every 5-10 min. Apply one final coating 5 min before removing from the grill. You can't put too much sauce on while grilling. It will build up a nice layer of flavors. I use the kettle but i think it would do well on the WSM (Larry used it) with no water pan and a high heat cook. I usally add one small piece of apple wood while grilling also. Hope you like it. Enjoy
    EDIT: If you are going to marinate the chicken first, then leave the oil out for the marinade proccess. Make up a fresh batch for basting the chicken with the oil in the sauce.
    "When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "
    Lump, It's what I'm cooking over. Chris A, Thanks for letting me play here.

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Thanks Bryan,

I plan to try this on my gasser (with a bit of smoke wood for flavor).

Ray
    "queing, teeing, and being in NC"

TVWBB Platinum Member
    I can vouch for this recipe ~ It's goooo-Ooood!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bill

TVWBB Member
    I was thinking of trying the Roadside Chicken recipe on a whole chicken cooked in the WSM at about 350 with a foiled pan (cherry smoke wood).

I was gonna also use the "Beer Butt" method to ensure moistness. Any tips or adivice? Think it'll be good?
    Time for some vitamin Q.

TVWBB Platinum Member
    I don't know about whole chicken, butt, Chiavettas here in WNY has a similar marinade/baste and they cook pieces, quarters and halves over direct coals. Never seen whole chickens. It, as well as Bryan's recipe is very flammable and needs constant attention. You can try it indirect but I think it's much mo' better when you're chasing the flames direct. BTW, I think Bryan's recipe is better than Chiavettas
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Bill

TVWBB Member
    Okay, Thanks for the advice. I will try cooking it direct. Can't wait to try it!
    Time for some vitamin Q.

TVWBB Gold Member
    Bryan, or anyone, what do you think of brining the chicken for this recipe?

Rita

TVWBB Super Fan
    Rita, I think a quick brine would be fine. Isn't the main purpose of the brine to ensure that moisture stays in the meat? Cooks Illustrated recommends 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar and a quart of water with a 30 minute marinade for chicken breasts. However, I've also seen them recommend 1/2 cup of both ingredients in different publications. The main thing is not to marinade them too long in this brine since the salt and sugar content are so high.
    Aloha,
    Ron

A Boy and His Toys:
    Summit Platinum D6
    WSM
    Go Anywhere-Gasser
    22.5 One-Touch Gold
    22.5 One-Touch Platinum
    Baby Q

TVWBB Gold Member
    Thanks, Ron. It's hard to pin Cook's Illustrated down on their brines. I've been collecting their brine proportions for several years and they don't seem to consistently follow their own Universal Formula, that's for sure.

If I'm grilling, I usually cut the sugar back by at least half so the chicken skin will be less likely to burn. Since there is some sugar in the marinade/baste, I'll probably go with none, or just a little, sugar in the brine.

Since direct heat has been suggested, I'm thinking of trying Direct / Medium-low heat on my Genesis gasser for the first try of this recipe on some thighs. My 1- or two-year old grill runs hotter than my old one did. Chips never give me any flavor, so I'll also try using some small chunks of hickory.

TVWBB Guru
    Tried this recipe last night. Very tasty!
    Thanks Brian.
    Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast