Brisket-finish cook or chill and reheat

Jim Henderson

I have a 12# full brisket in the wsm. It is at 160deg and I am ready to foil to 205 to finish. It will not be eaten until next week.
Question is should I chill now and finish to 205 later next week at mealtime, or fully cook and finish today?

Thanks for the tips guys. After 7 hours at about 225 smoker temp the meat was 160 internal.
I foil wrapped it, added a can of beef broth and braised in the oven to 190 internal. After it cooled to about 120 I broke it down and sliced the point and flat pieces. Taste is awesome, but I am a little disappointed with the tenderness and moistness. It will probably tenderize when I reheat in the foil liquid, but I wonder if I left it on the smoker too long? Should have ran the temp higher and pulled it to foil sooner?

'190 internal' only means 190 internal. The temp has nothing to do with tenderness and moistness.

It possible that the brisket was just undercooked. In that case it might well become more moist and tender when reheated.

I would run the temp higher, yes, like 250-275. If the brisket is whole, as yours apparently was, no need to foil at a lower temp if choosing to foil. No need to add liquid to the foil either, unless that is your preference.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
It possible that the brisket was just undercooked. In that case it might well become more moist and tender when reheated.

Kevin
Thanks. I saw you provided a lot of information in the other recent brisket thread. I'll re-read that before my next.

Back