reheat

kizer

I'm attempting my 3rd pork butt this week. After 2 cooks of butts each being about 4lbs each. I always had to finish them in the oven because of not being able to reach finishing temps. I always have had troubles keeping temps up on the WSM and I believe its due to the fact I live @ 7000ft. I have had a number of succesfully rib cooks but not the butts. So not to disappoint guest whats the best way to reheat a butt from a smoke the night before and still keep it juicy. The butts about 9lbs without the the cap removed.

Pull the butt and put the meat in vacuum bags. Then drop the bags in boiling water for reheating. Works like a charm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kizer:
I'm attempting my 3rd pork butt this week. After 2 cooks of butts each being about 4lbs each. I always had to finish them in the oven because of not being able to reach finishing temps. I always have had troubles keeping temps up on the WSM and I believe its due to the fact I live @ 7000ft. I have had a number of succesfully rib cooks but not the butts. So not to disappoint guest whats the best way to reheat a butt from a smoke the night before and still keep it juicy. The butts about 9lbs without the the cap removed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
4 lb butts are quite small, I'm guessing they are boneless? Even so they should cook in 8 hrs or less. 7000 ft is high but shouldn't pose that big of a problem in the WSM. If you can do ribs no problem seems there might be another problem with your process. Can you give us a detailed description of your process. You might want to skip the water in the pan for your butt cooks if you using water in the pan. This will help with keeping the temp up. Give us some more detail on your butt cooks, and what if anything you do different between the rib and butt cooks?

I don't do anything different on the rib cooks. Basic opertation minion method bring up to 275 then start closing vents to 20% open. I asked the question about elevation and it seemed others have had the same problems. Some suggested no water in the pan and leaving the door open a touch for more air.

Are you asking this because you are giving up on trying to do a butt and serve it the same day as cooking? Before you give up and resort to always cooking butts the day in advance, give it another shot to see if you can find a way to cook them when you want to eat.

Have you tried one of the waterless methods? I use the terra cotta saucer and can get very long burn times. If you start plenty early with this method, I think you should be fine. You can hold them for 4-5 hours in a cooler if need be before you pull the meat, so just give yourself plenty of leeway on time and you should be fine in the future.

I have been thinking about giving it another shot. Starting @ 9pm tues and folks should be over @ about 6pm wed. I will be throwing some ribs on in the middle of the afternoon on wed. I'm going with a waterless pan and using sand. It has been suggested opening the WSM door a little to keep the temp up. Hopefully for a 9lb but and some rest time in the cooler it will work out. If I have to finish it in the oven no big deal. The last 2 have turned out ok. by my standards, but guests loved them.

I'd suggest starting earlier--6pm; use more lit for the MM start, close vents later rather than sooner (if vents need closing at all) and close less. If you're not getting the temp you want with all vents open, prop the door open an inch. (Set your door up before you start cooking with the knob on the bottom and with something available to do the propping so you're ready ahead of time.)

Back