ribs..frozen or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am going out tomorrow to buy ribs for my first cook. I am trying the BRITU experiment. I looked at two stores today (stator bros, and Albertsons) both sell frozen. I don't have a costco card nor do I have a desire to get one. Does it make a big difference whether you buy them frozen or not..I mean, I want to do the best I can to justify the 300+ dollars I have spent, and I had better impress the hell out of my wife. I am going to see if there are any butchers around here now, but I am not counting on it. What do you think?

BTW...Albertsons was the only store that had baby back ribs, Stator had pork back and spare ribs only...I am really new to this (but willing to learn), Baby backs were 4.99lb (is that fair?), is going from Baby backs to spare ribs as big a jump as from top sirloin to porterhouse (I do at least know my steaks...lol)?

If frozen is the best you can do, you don't have much choice. I have purchased "previously frozen" spares in the past and was not dissatisfied. Even cooked them side-by-side with fresh and could tell no difference. $4.99/lb. is not outrageous for BBs at a grocery-- Albertson's is not famous for low prices from what I can tell at the one here-- but I prefer to catch them on sale elsewhere if I want to do them. BBs are usually leaner and a little meatier than spares, but obviously smaller as well. I believe most folks consider BBs a step above spares.

thanks, comprehensive and informative...that was a big help.

Hi Brian,
I bought some spares from my local Stater Bros. on Wednesday. They were previously frozen, but thawed. They worked just fine. One has to be careful, though with Stater's. I've gone in to buy ribs and found the racks to be frozen solid.
Not a problem if you're cooking in a few days, but it can be a problem if you are planning on cooking the next day. I like to slather and rub my ribs the night before I cook 'em, and it just doesn't work too well when they're porksicles.
BTW, Stater's pork back ribs are baby backs, just with a more PC name.
The good thing about Stater's is that they still have meat cutters in house. (At least my local ones do). One can get pretty much whatever one needs. I've hit up the butchers when I could only find 3-4 lb. butt chunks in the case, and within minutes I would be walking away with a 8-9 lb. butt. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jim

Hi Brian,

No need to echo the good advice given here, however let me add that if your using BRITU, more important that frozen or fresh is if the ribs are injected with any additives by the manufacturer. If they are BRITU will taste very salty and you need to make adjustments. It will tell you on the package if it has an additive, as far as a butcher, you have to trust him to tell you the truth.
You are gonna be so popular amoung your family and friends after this cook...

Funny you should say that...somewhere between midnight and 1 a.m. last night I was reaching the ends of this website (I think anyway) and read the entertaining diatribe on enhanced meats, salts, and honey. Anyway, I feel now that I know entirely too much...My poor wife (who woke up and told me to go to bed) got an earful of knowledge that knocked her right back out again...I just can't keep it all to myself, that would be selfish.

I figure I will cut the salt in the BRITU in half, but not sure if that will be enough...what is your experience. My wife cant get enough salt anyway so I can't lose with her, but I am not a big fan of salty foods (strong salty taste at least).

BTW...STATOR BROS, BABY BACK RIBS.........2.99LB
ST LOUIS STYLE......................1.99LB
ALL DEFROSTED. 3 DAYS ONLY. HERE IN RIVERSIDE COUNTY.

Hi Brian - Don't know if you have one locally, but Latino supermarkets (Vallarta is a chain around here) have old fashioned meat depts. (take a number, tell the butcher what you want, how you want it trimmed, etc.). They sell uninjected pork butts and have spare ribs on sale a lot. Cut off the breast-bone part (rib tips) and make St. Louis style ribs - they roll up easier than baby backs for the WSM. Cook the rib tips and eat them too - they're really meaty. There's a lot of other cool stuff at Vallarta too - goat, fresh lard, shrimp with the heads still on, cactus paddles, lots of different chiles (fresh and dried), fresh masa, lots more.

Brian,

Because of all the warnings I got on this site about injected meat and brine rubs I have always been fortunate enough to get uninjected meat. That being said...I think I recall a post from Jim Minion recommending reducing the salt by half.
I personally use about 1/4 cup of rub per rack.
Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back