Chris Lilly's without the Injection????

John_H

TVWBB Member
I have not made the Chris Lilly's Recipe before and am going to try it over the weekend. Has anyone tried the rub without the injection? Just curious if the injection is worth doing.

Well i have done alot off butts with Lilly´s rub and i think its good.

And it works great without the inject too.

If you'd like actual chile flavor use a better one than paprika as it offers nothing much more than color and bulk. The chili powder caller for isn't enough to add much so it could be ditched in favor of the paprika replacement.

Me, I'd switch the oregano to thyme and at least triple it. I'd replace half the white sugar with granulated onion and add a tablespoon of sage. I'd double the cumin and double or triple the pepper and would add a teaspoon of cinnamon.

Can you tell I think it's a lousy recipe?
icon_smile.gif

@ K Kruger, I'm laughing over here. I would like to make original recipe at least once at least to have a point of comparison. I'm doing two butts so I may do one original and one with some variation. Thanks for the input.

Wolgast,

How do the non-injected butts compare? Do you notice any flavor or moisture differences?

The only way I've ever cooked butts is per the Lilly recipe with injection and all.

I'm curious to hear if skipping the inject produces a comparable result.

I have done with and without many times and I can honestly tell you the injection is better, you get a totally different taste on the inside.

I tweak the rub as follows though:

1/8 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
2 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon gran onion

I've done both ways and lately just stick with the rub. However, I do use a finishing sauce when pulling so I don't worry too much about injecting flavor during the cook.

I am a newbe but(t) for the past 2 years we used the Chris Lilly rub and have loved the results. I have not always injected the butt but I have found that the injected stuff is a tad bit better. Then again, any pulled pork is great. I have not had any comp. quality stuff but the family likes the home made Chris Lilly rub stuff over Famous Daves(sp) or the like. Chris's rub is great. Good luck and let us know how and what you do/did.

Back