Smoking with loquat wood

Andrew S. B.

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone,

My aunt has a lot of wood from a loquat tree she had cut a few years back. For thoes of you who don't know, loquat is a sweet tropical fruit that grows well here in California and, if i understand correctly, also in Texas and similar regions. Its apparently a distant relative of Apple and Pear families. Has anyone use loquat wood, or heard of anyone? If not, I'll be the first to try!

Andrew

Ahh, Laguna Hills--I was stuck on the 5 there last week--I was wondering from where you hailed.

Sure, you can use loquat. The wood is mild. It's from the rosaceae family so it's related to apricot and plum. Was it cut down due to blight? I'm not sure that would affect it at all; could, I suppose. Give it a go anyway. Btw, if there are extant trees around the fruit makes a nice base for a Q sauce.

Thanks Kevin, you couldn't have been more helpful!

I stay completely clear of the 5 during rush hours.

I asked her and she said she had it cut beacuse she didn't want the tree where it was. I'll let you know how my loquat ribs turn out! We have a loquat tree at our place here. I'll see if i can include it in my sauce like you suggested. Thanks again!!!

Andrew

Back