Pork Butt: to inject, brine or leave alone...

Rob L

TVWBB Member
I've done plenty of butts with mustard slather with rubs. However, I was wondering if an injection would give the inside more flavor. I use a celery salt base for my rubs, so does anyone know a good injection that would go along with this...

Also is a brine necessary, isn't the pork juicy enough?

I wouldn't think it would need a brine. Plenty of natural juice as it is. I have injected with apple juice before to see if it made any difference. I couldn't tell any so I quit injecting. Now I slather and rub and spray with apple juice occasionaly just to keep the outside moist.

Rob, you might check out the Marinades forum and search for "injection." You'll find lots of information there.

Rita

lately i've been injecting my butts with apple juice, sugar, salt, and worcestershire sauce and i think it makes a noticable difference.

I like to add some of the rub into the injection sauce. I love the flavor that it adds. Plus I go heavy with mustard, rub, smoke, and injection. Everyone has opinions and mine is if you do all the cooking, do it the way you want.
icon_smile.gif

I inject sometimes, but mostly just rub and cook. Once pulled I add more rub to the meat to give it flavor through and through.

Rob
Try this you might like it

2 Cups Apple Juice
2 Cups Pineapple Juice
1 Cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard
1/2 Cup salt
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Worcestershire

I heat the mixture until blended then inject aftet it is cool again. I like it I have also added over the counter hot sauces to it no more than a 1/4 cup.

Good Luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soliman:
Rob
Try this you might like it

2 Cups Apple Juice
2 Cups Pineapple Juice
1 Cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard
1/2 Cup salt
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Worcestershire

I heat the mixture until blended then inject aftet it is cool again. I like it I have also added over the counter hot sauces to it no more than a 1/4 cup.

Good Luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to bump and ancient thread but I was searching for pork injections and found this. I have been using the Chris Lilly Rub and Injection Recipe and really enjoy the results but I was looking to try something new. Anyone know of a rub recipe that would complement this injection? Sounds like an interesting combination of flavors and it is all stuff that I normally have on hand.

I have tried everything and continue to do so. If you can find a flat enough butt, I think brining will make a difference. I tried it once and thought it was the juiciest butt I ever had, that's what she said. Anyway, I think it's worth a shot.

I find that adding a little apple juice and some of the rub used to cook the pork, after pulling, adds much more flavor than injecting.

I agree with Glenn W. The last butt that I smoked seemed to be a little salty and dry after pulling. I used the Chris Lilly injection recipe.

One side note though...the butt I used was an "enhanced" piece of meet from Kroger, so that may have led to the excessive salt flavor??? I'm still learning!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Trapp:
I see no need to "enhance" my pork with flavoring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't either, other than my own rub or injection. That is why I intend to buy non-enhanced meat from now on. I will be trying out the meat from Sam's on my next cook.

Back