What Weber Charcoal Grill to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned

I am in the market for a new stand up style Weber charcoal grill. My question is: Is the enclosed ash collector at the bottom of kettle on the more expensive Weber grill worth the extra money? How useful, really, is it?
Thanks a lot!

Ned

I really think you will like the kettle with the enclosed ash bowl better. I believe its worth the extra money which is what 40 bucks?

really hard to decide. many have the silvers and are happy with them. some just like the conveniance? of the gold. is it kinda windy where you are ? if it is then get the gold.
m

Get the Gold!! Enclosed ash catchers in my opinion are invaluable. My first Weber was the silver. I used it twice. Then gave it to someone else. I hated the ashes flying around, just did not seem safe to me. With the gold/ash catcher there are no worries and you don't have to clean it with every grilling session. It is definitly worth the extra money.

Get a 26er! More room, SS grate, ash catcher, lid holder and thermometer. What more could you ask for?

That's the answer Ned! listen to Shaun! the 26er is everything you could want, bigger is better. When you realize the space you have on that grill, you may think you won't use it all, but you will. Once you are grilling your main course you will want to add veggies and appetizers. Unless of course you need a side table,....well then go with the performer
icon_smile.gif
I don't mean to confuse you, bottom line to your question is.....yes the ash catcher is the best way to go.

I could never go back. It's not just about catching hot ashes. Clean up is ridiculously easy. I look at it this way...if this grill is going to last 20-30 years, it's worth the extra 1-2 dollars A YEAR to have the extra convenience.

It might seems like the extra $60 bucks is a lot of money. It's nothing to sneeze at.

But if you keep it clean and covered when not in use, that grill could last 10 years or more. Then that $60 is relly only $6 per year.

What is expensive is to buy the silver for $90 and then decide you REALLY WANT the ash catcher (which YOU WILL REALLY WANT) and then go out and spend $150 on the OTG. Thus your OTG cost you $240.

You could also pick up a OTS on the cheap, either brand new from CL or clearance from a brick and mortar store. Then order up a gold ash catcher systems for around $40 online and you're ahead. Although, you will also lose the extra handle on the bowl that the OTG's come with.

Everybody is over thinking this and the answer is really simple. For me it was a no brainer and got the gold.

How much is your wife/girlfriend gonna complain with ash all over he place and is it worth saving the extra $$$$$

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Everybody is over thinking this and the answer is really simple. For me it was a no brainer and got the gold.

How much is your wife/girlfriend gonna complain with ash all over he place and is it worth saving the extra $$$$$ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So true. Actually, I'll go even further and say it's not just about avoiding ash complaints. I have to ask how much is it worth to you to have your girl "on board" with the whole "bbq thing." Around here that is priceless and the ash catcher goes a LONG way with that for the reason John describes.

Get the Gold - you will want the hinged grate and the peace of mind that comes from ash containment is well worth it. The gold also has a more durable one-touch assembly if I recall, I believe stainless.

If price is an issue get it on Craigslist where you can snag a performer for the new OTG price. Anything bought new will soon enough look used anyway unless you are into detailing cooking equipment and many used grills come with accessories which add up in value (cover, chimney, baskets, mine even came with a slide-aside.)

I've rarely seen a OTG on craigslist but Performers appear fairly regularly for $50-$150. That's where I got mine.

Ned gold is always better than silver, for the extra money it cost for the gold you get
1. Stainless one touch cleaning system
2. A hinged cooking grate
3. Enclosed ash catcher which is awesome especially on windy days

So you get more than just the ash catcher for the extra money.

But if i were you i agree with Shaun go for the 26er you will be glad you did. You can always make a table to your liking for the 26er. Good luck with what ever you buy, remember you get what you pay for.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Bordeaux:
You could also pick up a OTS on the cheap, either brand new from CL or clearance from a brick and mortar store. Then order up a gold ash catcher systems for around $40 online and you're ahead. Although, you will also lose the extra handle on the bowl that the OTG's come with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did EXACTLY this, and am happy I did. Bought a new One Touch 'Silver' clearanced from Target about a month ago for $45, and got the ash catcher for about $41.00 shipped from Ebay. And it's REALLY easy to install the ash catcher (about 2 minutes of extra work). So I was out $86, as oppposed to $150 + tax for the One Touch 'Gold'.

Granted I don't have the hinged grate, stainless sweeping system and extra handle, but the food will cook up the exact same. Plus I bought a new cast iron grill for 40 bucks w/free shipping from Home Depot.com, so the heck with the hinged grate!
icon_biggrin.gif

well, that is confusing. yep it says ss. but when i look at the part numbers, 90993, they are all the same. so i assume that the replacement ones are ss as opposed to the original aluminized steel. weber cheaping out again.

For us the OTG was a no brainer. With two small boys ages 4 and 18 months, respectively; getting the OTG was an easy decision from a safety standpoint. It makes cleanup real easy too.

As another member mentioned already if you factor in the hinged grate that comes with the OTG the actual price difference vs. the OTS and buying the hinged grate separately is only $40.

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back