Finished with my Redhead rehab project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian O'Neal

TVWBB All-Star
Got this one off of CL for $30. It was in pretty good shape with the exception of some chipping in the lower bowl, a few chips in the lid, and some pretty pitted vents on the bottom. The wheels showed the usual wear. The ash pan was distorted but not too bad. I started by pulling off the legs.

dsc05869h.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05867j.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

I then turned the bowl over to inspect the bottom

dsc05783d.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05781v.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05779kc.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

The bottom revealed the chipping and the blackened vents. I matched the color and got some paint and proceeded to touch up all the chips. Then I turned to the vents. I sanded them out and shined them up with steel wool and some polishing compound, along with a sunshine cloth.

dsc05803cv.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05801d.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

dsc05802f.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-10-29

I shined up the triangle, and the legs. I replaced the wheels with new ones and added red hubcaps for fun. I shined up the whole thing with goo gone and steel wool. I beat the ash pan back into shape and cleaned it all up. I think it came out pretty good. You can see from the code this is from 1979. As always as soon as I go out to take pictures of anything in the backyard Phoebe has to come out to see whats going on.

dsc05866d.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05871n.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05874g.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05880u.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05882ch.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05884s.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05879k.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05863m.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05872lw.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

dsc05886q.jpg

By zavod44 at 2011-11-06

Next I have a blue one I need to rehab, I'm sure Phoebe will be excited.

Brian

Great job on that Brian! The triangle and legs look great. Did you use the same system on those as you did on the vents? Is the blue one an oldie too?

Originally posted by Shaun R:
Great job on that Brian! The triangle and legs look great. Did you use the same system on those as you did on the vents? Is the blue one an oldie too?

Pretty much the same system, the vents required more work. On the vents I used a scotch brite and goo gone, then I used a Dupont ultrafine sanding sponge with goo gone and that really does the best job, then 0000 steel wool. for the final treatment I use this polishing compound called Supra 90, and it is literally magic. It just shines everything up. For the legs. Just the sanding sponge and goo gone. Then 0000 steel wool, then the supra 90. Find a good flannel cloth to use with the Supra. The triangle I used the 0000 steel wool. For the really tough corners on the triangle I used a Dremel sanding wheel, then a polishing polishing wheel. Then of course the supra.

As for the Blue one, it's a one touch from 1990. So it's not a real oldie. It's one touch was a just a rusted lump. It had no paddles inside. I had to dremel out in pieces. I want to try to get the Gold ash bucket for it. It has wood handles that look rough. I'll see what I can do to those.

Brian

That's some pretty incredible work you've done, Brian!
You should be very proud!
Nice Job!

Thanks for the kind words Jim. It is fun fixing these old grills up. As a Cubs fan I am still smarting from the Cards winning it all. Congrats to your team, they really earned it.

Brian

PS the red color on the grill looks like Blackhawks red don't you think? :^)

Originally posted by ashish debroy:
Good grief! What did the previous owner do to that redhead? You did a fantastic job restoring it.
icon_smile.gif

That's what we kept trying to figure out. What could these people have done to this. Did they beat the side of it to get the ashes out?

Brian

Great work! Looks like new.
I would love to find an old grill to play with and show some love too. But after watching craigslist for a long time, no luck...

Originally posted by Glen Detlefsen:
Hey, Nice job! You're making me look bad with my dull paint and oxidized legs! All I did last weekend was watch TV.

Oh we can shine your stuff up, bring it to work tomorrow!

Brian

Looks great, Brian. Looking forward to seeing the blue one after you give it a good once over.

Brian-

Most excellent rehab. I have the same grill and didn't want to start this project until I found the right matching paint. Can you provide those details?

Thanks,

Mike

Originally posted by M. Chesney:
Brian-

Most excellent rehab. I have the same grill and didn't want to start this project until I found the right matching paint. Can you provide those details?

Thanks,

Mike

I used Dupont Centari with the hardener for high temp. The color code is Dupont spectramaster RS 914. This was a dead match for my grill. My advise to you is that you find a Dupont paint dealer, like finishmaster. Take your grill lid and tell them you want to see the Dupont spectramaster solid paint chip book. Dupont makes a whole big binder full of color chip books, called the spectramaster book. It is very easy to match with the red solid book. From there once you have a color match they can mix your paint. Centari is very cheap and perfect for fixing these grills. Hope this helps.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back