The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Opeating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSM Cart Enclosure Project

TVWBB Member
    Well I said it would start this thing in the next few weeks, but I got a wild hair tonight and headed to Home Depot to get some supplies.

I'm only about three hours in, but I've got the frame 90% finished. Perhaps tomorrow I will get the rest of the frame finished and squared up.

Next will be to start the center partition and the door panels. Then finally a hinged top.

Stefan B over in this thread had the same idea that I had bouncing around in my head. I'll take a few things from his playbook and incorporate them into my design as well.

The photo below shows the framework. The section on the left will hold my 22" WSM. The section on the right will be enclosed storage. The two sections will be separated with a piece of plywood. The whole rig will be on a nice set of locking caster wheels.

I'll keep posting to this thread as the Weber Smokey Mountain Cart Enclosure Project progresses.

--------------------------------------
    22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain
    Weber Spirit E-310

TVWBB Guru
    Sweet, its the WSM CEP
    18.5 WSM, 26.75 OTG, Performer, SJS, Primo Oval XL, Primo Round Kamado.

TVWBB Member
    Today I completed the framing, added locking casters, cut the sub-countertop, cut the storage area floor and the partition that separates the smoker section from the storage section.

Next will be to make the doors and fixed panels to hide everything inside, stain and finish and then have a stainless steel cover made for the finished countertop.

Here ya go:

Weber Spirit E-310

TVWBB Pro
    that looks SWEET!!! want to build another one when your done and ship it to michigan
    in heaven there aint no beer, thats why we drink it here

Looks great. What size casters are you using?
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). - -18.5" WSM, 22" Weber Kettle, 22" OTG Kettle, Char Griller Smokin Pro, Auber ATC

TVWBB Wizard
    Looking good!

Weber Kettle OTS 22.5" (2007), WSM 22.5" (2009), Weber Kettle OTG 22.5" (2011)

TVWBB Member
    Originally posted by Lew Newby:
    Looks great. What size casters are you using?
    They are a 3" locking caster that I picked up at Home Depot.
    Weber Spirit E-310

Jamie - Keep us up-to-date on your progress. I would like to see the finished product with the fire insulating material. Also, did you think of putting slider rails on that bottom shelf for easy removal of the WSM. Look Great!!
    Remember "I" before "E", except in BUDWEISER

TVWBB Member
    Originally posted by Tom S.:
    Jamie - Keep us up-to-date on your progress. I would like to see the finished product with the fire insulating material. Also, did you think of putting slider rails on that bottom shelf for easy removal of the WSM. Look Great!!
    Will do. I plan on using Reflectix inside the smoker enclosure. I'll put it on all four interior walls as well as underneath the countertop. I know you can't wrap the WSM with Reflectix directly, but there is at least a two inch air space between the WSM and the walls. I'm thinking that the Reflectix will handle that. I'll be standing by with a fire extinguisher just in case on the first few cooks however.

As far as the sliding rails are concerned, no I didn't think of that. The WMS bottom is really pretty easy to slide out on the wood rails that are there right now. I don't see the need for anything further at this point. The only additional thing I may do to the bottom wood rails would be to wrap them with sheet metal to guard against fire.
    Weber Spirit E-310

TVWBB Member
    Today I found an alternative to the Reflectix that I think will be just perfect. I found it at my local Menards. It is a reflective foil laminated to OSB. It's called Eclipse Radiant Barrier Panels from RoyOMartin. It makes the same claim that Reflectix does which is that it blocks 97% of radiant heat.

I conducted my own non-scientific test on the foil side of the panels in the garage tonight. I turned the foil side down and held a lighter under it for a good 60 seconds with the flame right on the foil. The surface of the foil turned black, but there was no permanent damage to the foil or the OSB. The black just wiped away with no visible damage to the foil. I think these will work well.

I also picked up a mess of 1 X 6 cedar picket fence boards (actually they are 5/8"). These will be attached to the OSB panels for a nice finished look outside.

Here are a few pics of the stationary panels cut and setting in their places. Next will be to glue them into place and to attach the 1 X 6 cedar boards. Then I'll make the doors.

Here is the OSB panels found at Menards:

And here are the progress photos thus far:

Weber Spirit E-310

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast