Minion Method

The MM is very consistent but since you just bought your WSM I'd advise you to practice on various cooks using various techniques to figure out what works best for you.

Originally posted by Steven Simpkins:
Doing Pork Spare Ribs is it always easier to use the Minion Method to start and maintain the 225 to 250 degree temperature.

Yes. It is easier to catch your temp range as the coals catch and the temp rises. Close bottom vents to about 20% open at about 200 and see how that works for you. Be a little patient with vent adjustments as their effect is not immediate. You have to plan ahead a bit.

What has been said by the Daves plus play it by ear with how much air gets in through the door, which will affect how much you need to adjust your bottom vents. Have fun!

Personally, I always start my fire the same way (a modified Minion Method, and with a full load of lump charcoal) no matter what I'm cooking. On Saturday I cooked a turkey breast at 350 - I started the fire the usual way, just left the vents wide open longer, and began adjusting when I got to around 300. To me, the fewer variables I have to worry about, the easier the cook.

i agree with Larry. i started out using the minion method and soon realized i was wasting nearly an hour waiting on temp to ease its way up. now i just dump a lit chimney on the unlit and and then start the vents in a low setting.

starting out with minioning till you get a grip o the process is a good place to start.

Back