Injection recipe question

Chris W.

TVWBB Pro
I'm looking at doing some butts soon, and I'd like to inject them this time. This will be a first for me; never injected before. I'm planning on using the renowned Mr. Brown rub. It's very popular with my family, and I'd like to get an injection recipe that goes well with it. I'm not sure if I want something spicy to complement the spicy bark, or if I want something a bit sweeter to counteract it. I'm kind of leaning towards the sweet side, simply because some people in the family can't handle spicy foods, and if I inject with something spicy, simply picking out the bark is not an option.

I have no idea where to even begin with an injection recipe. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Go with your gut and go on the sweet side.

I am not one to inject butts (much preferring the use of a finishing sauce - which is not the same thing as the sauce one serves with the pulled pork) but you could try the Chris Lilly one located in the Pork Recipes section. Way, way, way too sweet for me but many like it.

Thanks, Kevin. That sounds like it's what I'm looking for. Any reason you prefer finishing sauces to injections? I'm not dead-set on injections, I just want to try something a bit different. Which finishing sauce do you prefer?

Mostly because I find injecting to be a PITA. Also because with meat that is going to be pulled/chopped anyway, I don't see the point. It's easy to add a finisher during pulling. In the case of butt, well, it is not like butts need any help in terms of moisture.

I will occasionally inject meat that is destined for slicing - something that I want to get flavor into, because there isn't an opportunity another way.

For a finishing sauce for PP I like this. I add a few tablespoons per handful of pork as it is being pulled. Its flavor will work well with sweet or less sweet sauces, whether tomato-based, mustard-based or vinegar-based.

Back