SV Rib Roast

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We did half of a whole boneless rib roast for Christmas dinner (the other half is cut for steaks for later in the week
icon_biggrin.gif
). I was going to oven roast it, but it was nearly frozen when I pulled it from the fridge, so I thought I'd fire up the sv tank and cook it all modernist and stuff.

IMG_3283.JPG

The roast was in 135* water for 5.5 hrs. Last reliable temp was around 122* at the 5 hr mark before my probe took on jus and stopped functioning (and my tc probe was out of batteries).

After the bath, I rubbed the roast with evoo, salt, garlic, pepper, and rosemary, and threw it on the gasser.

IMG_3294.JPG

I was pretty stoked slicing her up, perfect med rare, edge to edge.

IMG_3297.JPG

I'm still feeling out the whole sv thing, trying to find what works and what's worth cooking this way. I'm putting rib roast in the "works and worth it" category.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What was the weight on that half? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure, but the whole, boneless roast was about 18 lbs and I saved more than half for steaks. My guess would be about 8 lbs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Will take some with some hot horseradish sauce.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me too, that's why I grated some fresh horseradish root and made a batch of Alton Brown's horseradish cream sauce! I made it extra hot so it burned my nostrils
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How'd you get a vacuum in that hefty bag?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

submerging the bag forces most of the air out. I like to use the big bags on large things so I can keep the opening out of the water and I can send a temp probe down in.

Actually with a vac bag, gasses still build up and float the bags. Having an outlet comes in handy with that too.

I've never really understood the need for a sous vide machine for home, but then I saw your last picture. That's absolutely amazing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
I've never really understood the need for a sous vide machine for home, but then I saw your last picture. That's absolutely amazing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon, after using my rig for about 8 months now, I'm still feeling my way around sv, and every sv cook I do is usually something new. This rib roast was a first time sv cook, and it was a slam dunk, home run. I can say I'll do them all this way, from now on.

I can certainly see your point and I can see reason for skepticism, so for those on the fence, here's what I've learned in my short time using sv:

what it does exceptionally well:

1) cook large, uneven roast uniformly and precisely
2) cook tough cuts of beef (i.e. short ribs)to tender while maintaining medium doneness
3) allow cuts to be cook precisely ahead of time, for quick finishes (for catering)

what it does exceptionally well, but only marginally better than traditional techniques:

4) confit (requires less fat, easier temp control)
5) braising
6) precooking sausage

what it does exceptionally well, but maybe more bother than traditional techniques:

7) precooking steaks

simply put 1 and 2 can't be done any other way and 3, 4 and 6 are stuff that I do all the time. I'm on the fence with 7, I know some people swear by it, but I find I can get a similar effect by bringing a steak to room temp first before grilling. 3 is an interesting one for me because of the amount of cooking we do for family parties. I can confit wings, sausage, pork butt or pork belly until its cooked and tender. Showtime is a simple matter of opening a bag and a quick grill or fry and you have a really interesting morsel that blows people away and requires little to no effort the day of.

Sv is and interesting tool and not for everybody, but it certainly has a place in my kitchen.

Another work of art Jeff - looks fantastic. I for one appreciate your efforts with the SV technique and your posts.

Would also be interested in seeing your list of "works and worth it" posted somewhere on this site as a reference
icon_smile.gif

Your 1-3 above keeps me thinking about getting a set up. Especially for #3. But admittedly still on the fence.

In this image I can see that you have the roast in the zip lock with the top of the bag outside the tank but held closed with the lid.

From the photo though it's hard to tell. Is that a solid lid/cover or is there a cut out (looks like semi-circle) in it? Or is it just a weird angle/refelction?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M.:
If you don't mind me asking, what SV rig are you using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go here and check out the picture with it connected to the food warmer.

IMO, its the best combo of capacity, precision, and cost of any of the available choices. Capacity was number one on my list, and the only thing that can rival the food warmer, would be an immersion circulator.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Would also be interested in seeing your list of "works and worth it" posted somewhere on this site as a reference Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Around April, I'll have owned and used it for one year. I try to remember to sum up my thoughts then. There's still a lot that I need to try before I come to any conclusions. I have only done a vegetable once (potatoes), eggs once, and no seafood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> From the photo though it's hard to tell. Is that a solid lid/cover or is there a cut out (looks like semi-circle) in it? Or is it just a weird angle/refelction? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I forgot to account for the volume of the roast when filling the warmer. the water level was up to and touching the lid. The circle is water.

J.

Looks fantastic as usual. How long would you say on the grill? It looks like you got great marks but no grey creeping into the roast.

Back