I'm confused. Chuck roast or chuck roll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob,
A chuck roast is a cut off of the whole "chuck roll". I have yet to do a "Chuck Roll"! You can do either depending on how much finished product you want. Chuck rolls are very big, so if you don't have a food saver or need to feed an Army you could get the same finished product by cooking a smaller chuck roast. I am doing a 6.3lb chuck roast tomorrow.

Hey Rob,

I think what people are talking about cooking is the 2275. If you can not find one of them the 2310 is awesome"chuck tender". It is about the size of a pork shoulder. My family thought it was great. For home cooking this will replace the brisket!!!!

I dont think you will go wrong with the chuck, "dont worry so much",lol.

Rick

Larry is right. Chuck Roasts are cut from the whole Chuck Roll. The biggest Roll i've seen was 35lbs with neck off. Bryan

Rick,
Tell us a little more about the chuck tender. Where do you get it, how to you prepare it for cooking (spices/rub), how do you cook it and how do you prepare it for eating (pull it or slice it).

Hey Jerry,

The rub I used was some thing like BRITU with double the garlic and pepper. I rubbed the chuck down with yellow mustard to hold the rub. It went on the top rack of the WSM , sand in the water pan,ring full of Kingsford, smoke wood was 4 chuncks of white oak, 2 cherry,2 pecan, and 2 hickory. The temps were 225*/235* for 21 hours. I pulled it at 196* foiled it and let it rest for 4 hours. They do have the shape of a pork shoulder , so the big end was sliced, the narrow end did better as a chopped item. The small end would be awesome in beans,or on salads. If you are into the pulled q , it would do great that way also I'm sure. "It was all gone before I could pull any". We sliced ours about 1/2-3/4" so it would stay together. The one I cooked was in the 15-17*range

Our local K mart had them on sale a few weeks ago for 1.99 #. I just had to try one . "wish I had got all of them now". Sams had some great looking rolls last weekend "20-30# ers". I may cook one next week end.

And , I have to tell ya about the chipotle mayo!
In a blender add:
1 cup mayo,2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce +1 tps of the sauce, 2 tps woster sauce,1 tblsp honey, 1/4 tps oldbay. Blend till smoooth.

Enjoy,

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How big is the roast your cookin? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick,
It is 6.34lbs.

I am preparing to do a 20 to 25 #'er overnight on the 19th and 20th. Along with a 15 lb packer.

What? me worry.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am preparing to do a 20 to 25 #'er overnight on the 19th and 20th. Along with a 15 lb packer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wholly guacamole Rob! Who are you feeding........all of Long Island???? That should be a fun cook!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Larry, I think he wants us to come up and help eat it up . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you may be correct Rick! I was just waiting on an invite!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am preparing to do a 20 to 25 #'er overnight on the 19th and 20th. Along with a 15 lb packer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wholly guacamole Rob! Who are you feeding........all of Long Island???? That should be a fun cook! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I figure after the shrinkage and waste I'll have aboutg 20# of meat. Should be about right for 45 people.

Plus..... I get the bragging rights of saying I did it. (My family gets a little competitive when it comes to cooking..... ya know how it is?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Plus..... I get the bragging rights of saying I did it. (My family gets a little competitive when it comes to cooking..... ya know how it is?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You will definitely have your work cut out for you!! Dat's alot of meat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back