WSM Portable "Smoke Shack" (Wind/Rain Screen)

Greg Maciejewski

TVWBB Member
Here is my version of a WSM Wind/Rain Screen. I built this so I could use my WSM in windy/rainy conditions.

Main features:

1) Portable - What makes this enclosure unique is that it is able to be assembled and disassembled without the use of tools. It can easily be assembled/disassembled in less than 5 minutes.

2) Construction:

a) Tongue & Groove - Made with tongue and groove pine that is water sealed to make the enclosure water resistant.

b) Pressure Treated Base - The base is made of pressure treated 4 x 4's with aluminum flashing coated floor boards.

c) Roof - The roof is constructed at an angle to allow rain to run off.

d) Door - Magnetic latching door with stainless steel hinges.

3) Conveniences:

a) Lid hanging rack - Allows for the hanging of the WSM lid.

b) BBQ Guru DigiQ II mounting Plate – Can mount DigiQ II on outside of enclosure to make monitoring of the pit from the outside of the enclosure easier.

c) AC Power cord channel in base – Allows rain proof AC power connect to DigiQ II.

d) Interior Dimensions 2' 3" x 2' 6" - Can accommodate either the 18.5" WSM or the 22.5" WSM.

I created pdf plans if anyone is interested.

P1050442.jpg

P1050406.jpg

Here is a link to some more pictures:
more pictures

Note from Moderator: You can download the PDF plans for this project at http://virtualweberbullet.com/...temp.html#smokeshack

Very Impressive to say the least.

Being in So-Cal, I don't have to worry about the elements too much, bit if I did, I'd definitely getting that PDF from you.

Excellent!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i'm confused. is that an outhouse being used as a smoking shed or is it a smoking shed being used as an outhouse ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. No George, it is not one of these:

portosmoker.jpg

Greg, I <span class="ev_code_RED">L?VE</span> your work/idea/finished product!
at one time, i gave thought to making a shelter like your (however, not the break-down in 5min. type)...
Butt i passed on it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Please tell me/us more... have you used this yet?
how does the smoke escape being confined inside with only small openings near the roof?

I guess you don't need access to the lower vents in the rear. But if you did? Nice job!!! You can even paint it!!!!!!

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Greg, I <span class="ev_code_RED">L?VE</span> your work/idea/finished product!
at one time, i gave thought to making a shelter like your (however, not the break-down in 5min. type)...
Butt i passed on it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Please tell me/us more... have you used this yet?
how does the smoke escape being confined inside with only small openings near the roof? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife calls it an outhouse too. I expected comments like this. I actually toyed with the idea of cutting out a half moon on the front door.
icon_smile.gif

I haven't used it yet as I made it for use during the winter months as I'm from New England and it can get really windy. I thought about the smoke too, but there's a gap at the roof line at both the front and the back. The roof is also at about a 6 degree angle. This should cause a nice draft that will allow the smoke to escape out the front.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
I guess you don't need access to the lower vents in the rear. But if you did? Nice job!!! You can even paint it!!!!!!

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

I have a bbq guru and keep the vents closed anyway so I don't need to get to the rear vents. I never thought of that though. Nice observation.

To be honest I like the natural wood color and I sealed the wood with a water protector.

Greg

Excellent work Greg! your woodworking craftsmen skills are very good. I'm sure it will come in very handy this fall/winter when the weather turns. Make sure to take some action shots when you use it, I would love to see them.

Greg, with your permission I'd like to add some of these photos and your PDF to the website. Let me know if possible.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
Again nice!

Tell me about that drawn down hardware. Not familiar with that one..

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,

They are Southco Rotary Draw latches. Here is a link for the latches and the plates.

That was the beauty of the project. I got the latches for free! We received large equipment crates at work that were held together by these latches. They were just throwing away the crates and I asked if I could have the latches. They said "sure as long as you take them off yourself". A screwdriver and a little while later I had a whole box of these things. To be honest, I had no idea what I was going to do with them. Then the idea came to me ... a portable WSM wind/rain shack. As they say, the rest is history.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd H.:
Excellent work Greg! your woodworking craftsmen skills are very good. I'm sure it will come in very handy this fall/winter when the weather turns. Make sure to take some action shots when you use it, I would love to see them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! I'll be sure to post some pictures of the "shack" in action.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Greg, with your permission I'd like to add some of these photos and your PDF to the website. Let me know if possible.

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

I would be honored to have you post pictures and the pdf plans on the web site. To be honest, it was the Virtual Weber Bullet that made me buy a WSM and got me started smoking.

I sent you an e-mail with the pdf plans and a link to the pictures.

Greg

Greg, that is flat out awesome. I would love to have a pdf of that. I believe my email can be seen in my profile, but if not let me know and I'll post it here.

The shed looks great. Excellent work.

Greg - looks great! I'd love to get a pdf of it also! I live a couple of towns over in Mendon - How about selling yours
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Wr.:
Greg - looks great! I'd love to get a pdf of it also! I live a couple of towns over in Mendon - How about selling yours
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

I drive right through Mendon on my way to work as I work in Franklin.

How much are you willing to offer me for it
icon_eek.gif

For those of you who are interested in the plans, please post your e-mail address in your profile so I can send it to you. Either that or you can wait for Chris to post the plans on the web site as I have sent him a copy.

Greg

Back