The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Opeating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WSM Portable "Smoke Shack" (Wind/Rain Screen)

TVWBB Member
    Here is my version of a WSM Wind/Rain Screen. I built this so I could use my WSM in windy/rainy conditions.

Main features:

1) Portable - What makes this enclosure unique is that it is able to be assembled and disassembled without the use of tools. It can easily be assembled/disassembled in less than 5 minutes.

2) Construction:

a) Tongue & Groove - Made with tongue and groove pine that is water sealed to make the enclosure water resistant.

b) Pressure Treated Base - The base is made of pressure treated 4 x 4's with aluminum flashing coated floor boards.

c) Roof - The roof is constructed at an angle to allow rain to run off.

d) Door - Magnetic latching door with stainless steel hinges.

3) Conveniences:

a) Lid hanging rack - Allows for the hanging of the WSM lid.

b) BBQ Guru DigiQ II mounting Plate – Can mount DigiQ II on outside of enclosure to make monitoring of the pit from the outside of the enclosure easier.

c) AC Power cord channel in base – Allows rain proof AC power connect to DigiQ II.

d) Interior Dimensions 2' 3" x 2' 6" - Can accommodate either the 18.5" WSM or the 22.5" WSM.

I created pdf plans if anyone is interested.

Here is a link to some more pictures:
    more pictures

Note from Moderator: You can download the PDF plans for this project at http://virtualweberbullet.com/...temp.html#smokeshack

Very Impressive to say the least.

Being in So-Cal, I don't have to worry about the elements too much, bit if I did, I'd definitely getting that PDF from you.

Excellent!
    18" WSM (2), 18" Red Head (aka "The Easterner"), 22" Brownie (aka "The Warrior"), 22" Avocado (aka "The Carribean") SJS (H), Firemagic Custom 1, 1960s Sazco Genie
    Work'n & Smok'n

TVWBB Olympian
    i'm confused. is that an outhouse being used as a smoking shed or is it a smoking shed being used as an outhouse ?
    George
    Can't live without spam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
    i'm confused. is that an outhouse being used as a smoking shed or is it a smoking shed being used as an outhouse ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. No George, it is not one of these:

18" WSM (2), 18" Red Head (aka "The Easterner"), 22" Brownie (aka "The Warrior"), 22" Avocado (aka "The Carribean") SJS (H), Firemagic Custom 1, 1960s Sazco Genie
    Work'n & Smok'n

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Jim Lampe's Avatar
    Greg, I <span class="ev_code_RED">L?VE</span> your work/idea/finished product!
    at one time, i gave thought to making a shelter like your (however, not the break-down in 5min. type)...
    Butt i passed on it.
    Please tell me/us more... have you used this yet?
    how does the smoke escape being confined inside with only small openings near the roof?
    Living a dream in
    ......................The Home of THE P1GVILION

I guess you don't need access to the lower vents in the rear. But if you did? Nice job!!! You can even paint it!!!!!!

Mark
    Mark's Kitchen: BBQ & Artisan Pizza, Weber kettle, SJ Mini, UDS,

TVWBB Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
    Greg, I <span class="ev_code_RED">L?VE</span> your work/idea/finished product!
    at one time, i gave thought to making a shelter like your (however, not the break-down in 5min. type)...
    Butt i passed on it.
    Please tell me/us more... have you used this yet?
    how does the smoke escape being confined inside with only small openings near the roof? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife calls it an outhouse too. I expected comments like this. I actually toyed with the idea of cutting out a half moon on the front door.

I haven't used it yet as I made it for use during the winter months as I'm from New England and it can get really windy. I thought about the smoke too, but there's a gap at the roof line at both the front and the back. The roof is also at about a 6 degree angle. This should cause a nice draft that will allow the smoke to escape out the front.

TVWBB Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:
    I guess you don't need access to the lower vents in the rear. But if you did? Nice job!!! You can even paint it!!!!!!

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

I have a bbq guru and keep the vents closed anyway so I don't need to get to the rear vents. I never thought of that though. Nice observation.

To be honest I like the natural wood color and I sealed the wood with a water protector.

Greg

Nice!

The only thing I would add is a Crescent Moon vent in the door.
    PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year, Outdoor cooking enthusiast, Coffee Roaster and Pit modification hack!

Again nice!

Tell me about that drawn down hardware. Not familiar with that one..

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast