Building Wind Screen

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I'm planning to build a wind screen for my cookers this weekend. I'm going to build a large one that will be able to cover a 22" wsm, 18" wsm, and a 22" kettle. I plan to use this as needed when competing as well as at home.

I want to build a simple one like this, but with a cover.

Basic Wind Screen

I plan to use hinges on the sides and top, so the whole thing will fold flat for storage and transport.

What thickness of plywood do you think I need? Figuring it will probably contain a little less than 2 full sheets of plywood when finished, 3/4" would weigh around 150 pounds. 1/2" around 100 pounds I think. So, do you think 1/2" is sufficient weight wise, and will the hinges be okay attaching to wood of that thickness?

I'm not a carpenter.

Thanks

EDIT: Would I be better off bolting the hinges on? If so, can I get away with 1/4" plywood?

I just built one like you are describing. I used a sheet of 1/4 plywood cut down to 6ft. I then took another sheet and cut off two 3ft sections. I used two hinges on both sides and attached with nut/bolt. I then put a barrel latch on the "wings" so that when collapsed it could be locked closed. I added a handle because it was too akward to carry. Lastly I put a couple rings on it to tie down if needed. I didn't want it sliding around in high winds or having it get blown over because of sudden wind shift. I don't know what it weighs but it is substatial. I fit three WSM in there with plenty of room. Good luck.

Thanks Rick - I think I'll go with the 1/4" and bolt through. I'm going to have to use 4 sheets I think. One for the back, one for the top, and one for each side. I need to make the top of the sides angled to fit the 22" (and for runoff) which is over 48" tall. I want the sides wider than 24" too, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy the extra lumber. The sheets are on sale for $13 right now, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll try and take some pics of it when I'm done.

Do you feel that 2 hinges per "wing" is sufficient, or do you wish you had 3?

The two hinges are fine. I did use some pretty heavy hinges though. There is also a post about windscreens by Keith Wilson (which is what i used to model mine from)and he used the piano type hinges. I didn't put a roof on mine. More concerned with wind than rain.

Here is the one I built, keeping the rain off:
102_5223.jpg

The three sides are out of 1/2" ply and the top is 1/4" with a 1/2" strip on the front to give it an angle so the rain flows off. I used hinges on all joints in such a way that the whole thing folds flat and can be leaned against the fence out of the way.

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Back