How long for a chuck roast?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
About how long would it take to do a 3-4lb. chuck roast at a grate temperature of 250* to an internal temperature for pulling? I used the search and saw some posts that said 3hr/lb. Is that right? I think Rita did one not to long ago but I can't find it.

At 250 grate, probably around 6 hours at most.

At 225 grate, probably 6-8 hours.

At 210 grate, probably 8-9 hours.

I cook them higher than that, usually around 280 lid, which would be about 260-265 grate. Runs about 5 hours, but it does kind of depend on how thick.

I"ll foil in a tray when I want it to finish....might be 2 hours, or might be one hour. I'll add onions, wine or stock, and cover. Depends on the cut.

Chuck roasts can and will be very very stubborn! I cook them in the smoke with a dome temp in the 245-260* range uttil they hit 165*, then foil and continue to cook to the 195*-200* range and at that point check for tenderness by inserting and twisting a fork. If you can't easily twist the fork it's not done. Give youself at least 2 hrs per lb at the above temps. Be patient with the chuck and wait until you can twist the fork, you will be happy you did!!

From the thread on Rita's chuck cook:

"I haven't finished entering my notes, but so far: I began with two 2 1/2-pound beef chuck roasts, which yielded 2.9 pounds of cooked meat (a 57.3% yield). They cooked at about 225*F with 50/50 hickory and oak for 4 hours on the grate (to about 160*F internal), then in a covered foil pan with the onions and reduction for 4 hours more until tender. The final internal temp was about 208*F."

Should I use a empty water pan to catch the juices? I was thinking of putting the roast in a turkey rack then putting it in a foil pan to keep it out of the juice. If I do it that way I don't need the water pan right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
Should I use a empty water pan to catch the juices? I was thinking of putting the roast in a turkey rack then putting it in a foil pan to keep it out of the juice. If I do it that way I don't need the water pan right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I place the roast on the top rack and use sand in the pan covered with 2 layers of heavy duty foil. If you're looking to use the juices when the roast is done, there will be plenty when you open the foil.

Back