Sugar / Splenda question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_M

I'm off sugar, so I'm looking at all these great recipes... I gotta try some of them.

So with Rubs/mops/sauces, Is the sugar used primarily for the sweetness, or for its ability to caramelize? Since Splenda doesn't burn or caramelize, Can I just substitute, or am I bound for failure?

Thanks all

--T

Sugar is used primarily for sweetness though this varies from time to time depending on recipe and use. Elements containing natural sugars will brown/caramelize on their own so sugar is not required for most aspects of cooking.

I have been using Splenda in sauces for a couple of years now. Good idea to use a bit less than the amount of sugar called for. It helps to avoid detecting the difference in taste from real sugar and, as you will find once you are off sugar for a while, things just taste better with less sugar.

One other piece of advise - just don't tell anyone and they will never know. Our guests have raved about the sauces and never known.

Thanks Dave,

I actually did my first cook this past weekend using splenda in a rub and sauce, and no one knew the difference.

I've been off sugar for two years now, so I know exactly what you mean about the need for less sugar.

--T

Hi Tim

Great to hear it worked out. I haven't actually tried it in a rub - so that's good to know.

I wish we could get food manufactures to dial back the sugar a couple of notches. I think they've been slowing increasing it over the years. Tastes awful once weened from it.

I've been making all of my own carbonated beverages using fresh fruit juice cut half & half with club soda. And a touch of splenda if necessary. I also make sangria without sugar - it's fabulous.

All the best,

Dave

my father used splenda for a while in sauces, ice cream, and all sorts of things I always tasted and disliked it. there are a lot of good rubs out there without any sugar I would try those, also try sweetning with apple sauce or other natural ingedients for your sauces still has calories but retains some of its nutrients. won't leave you with that sugar downer

Great idea on the apple sauce!

For sure, it's easy to overdue it with Splenda. And no matter what they say, it tastes different than sugar. I figure that if I can taste it, I've used too much. I don't actually use it for the sweetness, but rather to take the edge or bitterness off foods. Always at least 1/4 or less of the sugar that's called for. Then, if I want sweetness, I only need to add a touch of a apple juice etc.

We make our cranberry sauce with Splenda - but again when substituting for the sugar I use only about 1/6 of the amount that the recipes call for. Everyone raves about it. Truthfully I'm sure it's not the splenda that makes it so good - more likely that without all the sickening sweetness you can actually taste the cranberries!

Well, one thing to keep in mind with splenda... The stuff in the packets is different than the stuff in the bulk containers.

The bulk containers have extra filler material, so it's suppose to measure the same as sugar. The packets are suppose to add the same sweetness as a packet of sugar, but won't measure the same.

Either way, I do tend to use less than is called for, but I find a little sweetness helps bring out the heat in spicy foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back