Pork chops Geir Widar Copycat style

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
Now, there is no way I can compare myself with the mighty Pork Chop Chef of this forum, Mr. Lampe, but all his fantastic cooks and pics of pork chops made me hungry. I needed to give it a go for myself.
Starting off with two measly, thin and cheap chops, I did my best.
I deboned the chops because of my plans to vacuum seal them, and drizzled with the spices you can see in the picture.

I have read the Sous-Vide posts of Mr Biesinger. (I have learned a lot from your posts as well)
I do not have access to a fancy circulator, but I do have a stove with a very accurate digital temperature control. We’re talking about one degree plus minus. I have checked, and the stove is actually that accurate. Impressive.

Combining the ideas of these two contributors, I cooked the chops in the oven, in a sealed bag, with some butter and chili paste added, as well as a splash of soy sauce. Three hours, 140 degrees F.
Someone else showed me how to make a very small and very hot grill. Weber starter upside down, center of a grate on top, and then it’s searing time. If it looks like it is quite cold, you are right. None the less, worked like a charm. I used lump to maximize the heat during the short searing period. Thank you all for bits and pieces of information, and your great posts. They inspire me!

Plated. I made a sauce from the jus in the vacuum bag, just strained it, added some butter and some Jack Daniels sauce #7. It turned out more than very nice. My wife almost licked the jug.
Fresh vegetables with Italian olive oil, the real stuff. I bought it from the farmer myself.

I forgot to take a Wolgast picture of the meat, so the plate is a bit messy, but you can see here, a perfect medium rare.

Thank you for your time, and as usual, click on pictures for large ones.

Absolutely awesome chop cook Geir!

This might be my new computer wallpaper.
icon_smile.gif

1123126.jpeg

Real nice work Geir. I appreciate the series of photos to see how you work. Really -- well done!

Most definitely Excellent Geir! Great photos and I would probably lick the one on the grill and worry about the little things like getting my beard burnt off, since it looks so appetizing!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart S:
Looks great Geir!

How did the plastic bag handle being roasted in the oven? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's regular foodsaver bags. I tripple seal the bag, and the bag holds just fine. It might be difficult to see, but the bag is immersed in water just as in a regular sous vide cook.

Very neat cook Geir! How do you have such an accurate oven? I'd be shocked if ours is +/- 20 degrees.

Also, that searing pic really is amazing.

The accuracy came as a pleasant surprise. I just wanted a top of the line stove, and at a price if 1700 dollars it should be OK, don’t you think?
The clerk told me about the digital thermo adjuster , so I’ve checked it out with my thermapen. She did not lie.

I think you’ll be having problems to get something useful of the link, but here it is:
http://www.elkjop.no/product/h...nje-komfyr-ei87551ax
It’s super fast as well. The oven uses 6 minutes to reach 400 degrees. Nice stove!

Geir
icon_wink.gif
. Do you have a clear goal, you're going for perfection.
JB is a good example and I'll wait where this reaches. A great first step and I look forward to next SV experiment.
Those pork steaks and dining look perfectly.

Sorry, have not seen the question before now. Plastic bag, no problem.

"Roast" might not be the right word when the temperature is 130 degrees f?

Back