Pork Shoulder: Championship Injection

Johnny

Hey,

just switched from a offset smoker to the 18.5 wsm. Amazing results on my first smoke. Injected the entire injection, almost every bit stayed in the roast. I rubbed with texas pig rub, amazing. I generously applied that rub. Probably almost a third dose on the top. I got my smoker up to temp quickly and had trouble keeping it down to 225, so it stayed at 235-265 the entire night which i think helped make it not as fatty as other pulled pork I have tried. I used about 3 lumps of Pecan wood in the beginning and added a couple about 4 hrs into the smoke. no basting. no spritzing needed at all. I actually think the bark acted as a barrier to letting the juices out so i like how it really crusted.
I did a log of my temps, time, vents. I had my bottom vents at 15%/15%/Closed for a while to keep temp down. at the end of the cook i turned them completely open. Here are some pics of the smoke. Great smoke ring.

Hey guys,

I had an amazing result from the 1st smoke. Did a apple juice based injection, 14 hr smoked pork butt. Unbelievable results. I actually dont even like using bbq sauce on this batch...almost like a beef jerky it had so much flavor. Maybe a little bit of a spicy bbq sauce would be great but sauces like sweet baby rays i think would have tarnished the amazing flavor of this meat.

mail

mail

mail

mail

Johnny,

Sounds like you are on the right track my friend! Chris Lily has a good injection recipe if you google his name. You may like his injection for pork.
Pecan is a great cooking wood, and I use it frequently since it is common in my area. It does, however, tend to make meats darker than other woods like hickory and oak which are harder and more dense burning.
Just make sure your top vent is open to avoid creosote build-up and drip backs on your meat.
Great cooking!

Back