Heat Sink

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
So I've seen a lot of talk about a clay pot/saucer/jar/bowl/statue being used in the water bowl instead of water. Could someone show me a picture of exactly what I'm looking for?

Also, do you foil it with the water bowl, or separately?

Thanks.

Matt, here's a picture of my grandson with the Brinkman water pan and the saucer. I got the saucer at Home Depot in the lawn and garden dept. It goes under a flower pot to contain water.

Clay Saucer

14.2" saucer - 18.5" WSM Since I'm new at this I foiled them separately.

For 2 weeks I've been reading past posts to learn as much as I can. I'm doing what I read here on the forum. I wrapped the water pan and the saucer in foil and then set the saucer into the top of the pan.

I'm not one of the pros here. I've only been smoking for 9 months and that was on an ECB where I used water. I wanted to go the dry route with the WSM so I could learn this method right out of the chute. My first cook will be on Sunday and I'm breaking it in with two 7 lb. Butts.

Matt,Lew has it right. Just foil the water pan,top and bottom,then foil the top of the saucer. Place the foiled saucer in the foiled water pan and fire it up!
One note. The saucer won't pull the heat down as quickly as water will,so be sure to catch the temps on your way UP. But it's great not worrying about having to fill the durn water pan on a long cook!
BTW,Matt,I think I have the same saucer. It barely fits in the water pan!

Matt....use either water, or clay saucer, or sand....they all work. I used sand for 3 cooks, then I abandoned it althogether, and now I only foil up the mt brinkman charcoal pan...I found out that it works just as good as any heat sinker. I put a second foil on the inside of the pan, leaving about 1-2 inch space between the bottom foil and the top foil...just enough so the drippings won't burn....The WSM is a great cooker, and good luck with your first cook. I'm sure it will be quite an experiment.

Thanks guys. I got the 14" clay saucer from HD. Fits like a glove.

I did notice my meat got done a lot quicker than I expected, comparing it to my water cooks. Though there were other variables as well.....

Back