Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The WSM "hot squat"

TVWBB Member
    OK, I'd like to know how crazy and/or common the following habit is:

Halfway through a cook, the urge to "fix" the fire becomes overwhelming and you do the "hot squat". By that, I mean you grip the center section by the top ridge, squat down, and LIFT all of
    * the hot center section
    * the hot food
    * the hot water pan
    * the boiling grease-water
    * the hot lid
    * the hot grates

and place them on the ground.

After fooling with the fire you do another hot squat and put it all back together.

I'm still sort of a beginner (although I've done 7 or so good cooks so far and my crowds are getting bigger.) In every cook, I found one reason or another to do the hot squat. The last time, I had 2 big precariously balanced beer can chickens in there, and I realized mid lift that I had flip-flops on. I'm thinking to myself, if that boiling oil-water sloshes onto my foot, I'm going to lose control of this whole thing bigtime.

In other words, I know one of these times I'm gonna get burned good, but I still can't resist.

Do I have to break this habit, or does everyone do it?

Doug

TVWBB Super Fan
    Check out the other side of the WSM, there is a door for tending the fire. Seriously I have never had the urge or need to remove the whole thing. Like they say there is no wrong way, your end product will speak for itself. If it works for you go with it, there is no wrong.
    NRA Life Member...Join Today!

TVWBB Olympian
    Doug, Count me in. Works great for me.Been doing it that way since day one Bryan
    "When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "
    Lump, It's what I'm cooking over. Chris A, Thanks for letting me play here.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I have not done this in the middle of a long cook, but I have done it between cooks. That is, after I have removed the meat. I also don't use water in the pan so I don't have the steam issues to deal with.

I'll pass.

Banned
    Never tried that one, Doug.

Heck you might get famous and this will become known as the Parizo Method... but wait... need to match letters... like MM = Minion Method. This would have to be... hmmm... Parizo Practice! Yeah, that's it!

TVWBB Olympian
    If i have to go in and stir the coals i do the Hot Squat. Plus you don't get a temp drop or a temp spike cause it's so fast. Not to mention no ashes all over the food. Bryan
    "When I die, I'll donate my body to science too see how big my smoke ring is "
    Lump, It's what I'm cooking over. Chris A, Thanks for letting me play here.

I did it routinely with the Brinkmann Gourmet I used to use, mainly because I'd have to add more charcoal at about the 6 hour mark of a long cook. The Gourmet came with handles to make the maneuver easier (and less risky). So I added handles to the WSM - but with the longer burn time, I haven't had to lift the center section. I did it once just to see if it worked (it did, of course).
    "If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
    18.5 WSM | 22.5 OTG | 18.5 Kettle

TVWBB Guru
    Why do I keep picturing the opening sequence of Kung Fu, where David Carradine (aka 'grasshopper') gets those cool tiger and dragon brands on the insides of his arms by lifting up that big ol' hot whatchamacallit (and then cooling his arms in the snow)?

Hey, maybe Weber will add something like that for us diehards!
    Sacchrum est gratum, sed liquor celeritor.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I've done this on more than one occassion. You do have to be very careful not to spill the water. And make sure you plan ahead where you're going to put the thing down so you don't have to reach over the coals!

Banned
    Wow!............I have never had the need to or even thought about doing the "Hot Squat"! I would spill it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast