Hot Squat

Vaughan

TVWBB Member
I have read a number of posts where adding charcoal to the WSM is referred to as "Hot Squat".

Please, what is this?

Tnanks.

It's a refueling method that is popular with the folks that have their doors jbwelded shut, is a LOT easier on the 18.5" wsm than the 22.5", and a LOT safer if little or no water in the pan.
icon_wink.gif

Be careful, especially if you have water in the pan, and don't even attempt with the 22.5" if water in the pan without a second pair of hands.

It means to lift the entire mid and top section off of the cooker mid smoke with all of the meat and water still in smoking position. This allows you to refuel or stoke the fire with out disturbing the meat. I have done it many times with an 18 due to poor planning. I would not recomend it unless wearing pant and shoes (no flip flops).

THIS is why Weber didn't put handles on the middle section...
Doing it with a Brinkman is one thing, but I agree with Tim, just an accident waiting to happen. Weber didn't want law suits.

Originally posted by Tim Quon:
Hello Vaughan, Here ya go.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...670005562#7670005562

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I've never had to do this with the 22.5 cause there is plenty of room to tend the coals with the door down. Might be easier with the 18.5. Still, I'm glad I don't have to do it.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Thanks but no thanks. Reminds me of the folks that squirt charcoal lighter on to lit coals...just a big old bad accident looking for a place to happen </span>
icon_frown.gif
icon_frown.gif

With handles on the mid-section, and no water, I don't consider it very hazardous at all with no more than two butts on at a time. I would not do it with water in the pan, though.

I ended up doing this on almost every long cook prior to using an ATC. I have the 18" WSM and don't find it that difficult. You need to be sure to use heat resistant gloves that, preferably, have sillicone/rubber grips. Usually, by the time this is necessary, the water pan has reduced if you used any water and spillage is less of an issue unless you've refilled it.
I like that, using this method, you avoid ashing the meat and have better access and control over the fire.

What Larry said.
Without water (although I do confess my first time was with) in the 18", it's not a big deal. No possible way I'm gonna try to add fuel through the door!
Fortunately, the need doesn't arise often.

<<done this a few times... it's really no big deal.

butt then, i use no water... and both my 18" (no longer have) and my 22" have handles on the sides for EZ lifting.

As long as you do the hot squat BEFORE replenishing the pan, it's not really that big a deal on the 18.5" cooker....unless you've got forty pounds of pork butt in there. As for the handles, yeah, I've got a couple of 'em but don't fill they're a necessity. Before I installed them I simply used my gloves to hold the top of the sides at the contour. <span class="ev_code_RED">Of course, if using the pre '09 weber pan, I'd be REALLY careful since it supposedly can fall off the tabs.</span>

<<done this a few times... it's really no big deal.

I never touch the coals unless I've removed the meat or have it foiled. Once I realized how much ash I was dusting my meat with, I never did it again.

Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
As I mentioned above, I add colas through the door regularly. I'm thinking now that adding lump even if I started with briqs might get the heat going quicker.

You add colas? Wouldn't that make the fire go out? Sorry, Mike. Had to go there!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><<done this a few times... it's really no big deal.

I never touch the coals unless I've removed the meat or have it foiled. Once I realized how much ash I was dusting my meat with, I never did it again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's another good reason for the hot squat. You can stir the coals and even them out all you need with no worries since the meat is out of the picture.

However, regarding ash on the meat, I don't find most lump, K, or even Stubbs ash to be that much of an issue, unless it's windy. I believe it was Rancher briqs that I found to have a really light ash that was prone to end up on the meat, and mesquite lump seems to be worse than other lumps.

I've done the hot squat on my 18 inch with full water and meat on. I could tell my fire wasn't very even. Handles on the side definitely help.

I have also- in a former life- added more lighter fluid to hot coals and relit.
icon_smile.gif

I have done the "hot squat" in the morning of an overnight cook but only if the coals were heavily ashed over and/or I needed to add more coals without stirring up ash. I have added weber handles on the center section and have eyebolts on the charcoal grate/ring assembly to shake the coals. I do not use water in the pan.

I shut the top vent and using gloves lift the center section off and set it on a thick rubber floor mat. I use the eyebolts to shake the charcoal grate/ring side to side in order to knock excess ash off the coals and down into the bottom bowl. Once the ash settles and briquettes are added (if needed) I reassemble the center section onto the charcoal bowl and open the top vent to its original position.

I am more concerned about a back injury doing this with a fully loaded WSM 22.5 than any other saftey issues if it is done cautiously and without water in the pan.

Originally posted by Jim H.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
As I mentioned above, I add colas through the door regularly. I'm thinking now that adding lump even if I started with briqs might get the heat going quicker.

You add colas? Wouldn't that make the fire go out? Sorry, Mike. Had to go there!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Diet Dr Pepper seems to help with the fire Jim.

I did my first long and slow pork butt this past weekend where I had to add charcoal during the cook. I put on some heavy leather gloves and added the charcoal through the door. Flicked it to the other side with my finger tips; worked great. BTW, I was using Kingsford Blue and did not encounter any unfavorable aroma from adding the fresh Kingsford. I mention this because I have read some posts where folks prefer not to add Kingsford.

As long as I am on-line....I was never a big fan of Kingsford Blue with my Char-Griller. However, the Blue seems to be made for the WSM or visa versa. I am getting great results with the Blue - good consistent temps, long burns. (So much, I picked up 120lbs at the Lowe's $7.97 2X20lbs sale).

I've had the WSM for a few months and am loving it. Wished I had picked one up a long time ago. Highly recommended.

Back