Alton Brown/Brining pork butt ???

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
I just watched, for the 37th time, Alton Brown Brine and smoke a pork butt.

He used pickling salt and molasases.

Anyone brine their butts ?

I always thought it wasn't necessary ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
I just watched, for the 37th time, Alton Brown Brine and smoke a pork butt.

He used pickling salt and molasases.

Anyone brine their butts ?

I always thought it wasn't necessary ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not necessary, unless it's done for flavor or curing. Brining is typically done to lean cuts, not cuts that are thoroughly marbled like a pork shoulder. If you want to try a brined pork butt without wasting your time brining it, but a 'self basting' or 'always tender' etc. Smithfield or similar boston butt or picnic. You will find they will have a 'hammy' flavor to them, same thing with the ribs.

Larry

thanks

I think i have bought a self basting or always tender butt in the past with out knowing it, because once or twice the butts have tasted a little hamming if you will.

Not interested in that.

I'm a huge AB fan but when I saw that I just shook my head. His reasoning was that there isn't enough fat (?????) in the butt. Of course based on the product he "pulled" at the end its no wonder he isn't happy with his results and feels the need to brine.

Incidentally after that episode he helped someone cook ribs in the oven (ugh). He was gnawing on the bone something awful. i'd say they could have used some more cook time.

Jeff

I saw the rib deal with AB, and thought the same as you did, maybe a little more cook time.

I would really like to see the food network have a charcoal"SMOKER" type cook off, between all those whom have shows and see who would make the best butts/ribs/brisket.

Also have a few of the more experience and or maybe not so experience from this weber forum and see who does best.

Don't get me wrong AB is quite a good cook/chef, he seams to really know what he's talking about most of the time. One can't be an expert in all forms of cooking. The others on the food network have their type/specialities etc, but when it comes to smoking with charcoal, that's a somewhat different animal.

just like i heard rachel ray one time, and I think she's terrific. But she made a comment about outdoor grilling or something, she wasn't crazy about.

Just a thought.

I have tried Alton Brown's recipe for the brined butt. I have to say that it turned-out quite good.

That being said, I have also tried the "Renowned Mr. Brown" from Smoke & Spice, and the Chris Lilly 3-time Champion recipe.

Liked them all.

Mr. Brown was a bit to hot/spicy for some (I liked it that way - along with a little drizzle of a sauce with vinegar or hot "bite")

CL Recipe was liked very much by all who tried some. I will definitely be making this one again. (It's not "brined" - but it is injected with a sweet / salt mix prior to cooking. Came out nice & juicy)

Give 'em all a try - you may be surprised.

I tried his brine for pork butt once but wouldn't bother again. It wasn't bad, but nothing noteworthy either.

You can get a hammy butt if you are an overnight type who rubs, wraps and fridges overnight or extended periods before cooking. Leave out the salt if you do that and you'll keep the "ham" out
icon_smile.gif

If you want to do the long duration rub, just sprinkle with salt when you are letting it come to room temp. It will pull out some moisture and just sprinkle again with some additional rub before putting in the smoker.

Lots of rub recipes have a good amount of salt in them.

I would say this is what causes a suprise "hammy" butt if you know you didn't use a treated one.

The best way to avoid a hammy taste is to intentionally create a hammy taste by making your own cured pork products from time to time--bacon, tasso ham, buckboard bacon, cured jowl, etc. Once you know how to create that flavor intentionally, you'll know how to avoid it as well.

Personally, I don't really understand the reason for applying salt and rub the night before making pulled pork or ribs or other Q. I don't understand what is gained by doing that when you have such a long cooking time. I typically add the rub while the cooker is getting ready. I've never had a hammy flavor in my Q.

Back