ATC on kettle

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone installed a guru or stoker on a kettle? If so, how well does it work? I remember seeing a post about a person that did it on a ranch kettle, but haven't seen anything related to a 22 or 18 kettle. I may have a spare fan and am thinking about mounting it to an old 22 OTS. Just not ready to drill the hole and find out it doesn't work.

Rob,

Where would you place the fan. Assume I'm only going to bank coals to one side for indirect. It's the One Touch Silver. Would you place it so the fan mounts on the side of the bowl where the coals are banked, and so it blows just slightly above the top of the coals?

I think I would point the airflow to make a circular direction. You can always change the direction and where you bank the coals. You can't change the height of the hole.

-rob

I talked to John at Rock's, and he said to mount it right below the charcoal grate. He said it works just fine on the kettles, but the biggest drawback is that you have to drill a hole in the bowl. No problem there, so I may give this a shot.

No, the little valve in the fan housing. shake the fan - you should be able to hear it. This is the reason why the fan motor has to be pointed up. That was one lesson I learned hard.

-rob

Right, I know what you mean. The curvature of the bowl on the kettle is similar to the smoker, so I don't know why it would be a problem. I will mount it the same way as I have it mounted on my smoker. Maybe on the one-touch gold, it would be harder to mount at that location due to the ash collector, but I'm purposely using a silver for that reason.

I have been using the Guru for years on both the Kettle as well as the Ranch. Mount the adapter just below the grate, I also have it on the one-touch and never had any problems.

Since the original posters are long gone from this 2009 post, I thought I'd throw some ideas out.

I'd put the fan below the charcoal grate. When not in use plug it with a hole plug from a hardware store. Here's an example of what I'm thinking would work: http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-...3225&store=1577&view=detail&nValue=4294711044

OR

You could get a dog bowl and a butterfly anchor to use in the vent system. You'd have to cover the other two holes with high temp tape or a cpl more dog bowls but it would work as well. Then your not punching a hole in your kettle. http://pitmasteriq.com/products/replacement-parts/ad02.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I have the Weber performer and want to retain use of the ash bin so punching a hole won't be a problem for me. Your link shows a chrome plug. Do you think chrome is safe at high temperatures? Also, in which direction do you think it's best to ha e the fan blowing? Under the charcoal toward the meat? Under the meat toward the charcoal? Parallel to both? This is in reference to cooking with indirect heat on a Kettle.

I bought an Auber, and their support is telling me something completely opposite of what's in the pdf. They said to put the hole under the charcoal grate, on the charcoal side. I would assume this position would blow ash everywhere and would expose the unit to more heat. Strange.

Back